Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I would like to create a randomly generated upon refresh short list of links to display on my front page, preferably from a list of prexisting links. How might I go about doing this?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    PHP from a database comes to mind. There are tons of ways.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    How might I implement this with Javascript? Or else, does a javascript already exist that I can download to do this?

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Javascript is rarely good for complex projects, you'll need a server-side language instead.
    filburt1, Web Design Forums.net founder
    Site of the Month contest: submit your site or vote for the winner!

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I agree with what filburt said. As your links list grows larger and larger, it will be more and more difficult for a JavaScript to shuffle the links randomly (as well as store them in an array for client-side download). Put them in a database and have them retrieved at random with a server-side language.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    well he hasn't said how big this list would be and how often he'll be updating it.

if the list is relativly small and he doesn't want to update it too often then javascript would be better for the job from an ease of making point of view.

if he wants something that'll contain a large number of links and he'll want to add entrys often and be able to do so from a web based panel then an SS lang is necasary.

but unless he already has MySQL databases set up for his web-site. i don't think it's worth using one just for this.

a flat file DB can work just as well for sites that don't expect to recieve a very large number of hits.

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    you could use iframes and use javascript to select a random page to be shown in the iframe.
    JR

Member #
    Right now, I will be implementing a small base containing a total of 5-15 sponser links, of which 5 will be displayed at one time in a list on the front page. The same thing will be done with some small buttons, 88x31's.

Later on in the future, I will probably want to take my entire link directory and make it so links can be added through a form, organized, and displayed in various quantities on different parts of the site. I will probably also want to find and delete duplicate & spam links easily. This will obviously require some sort of database, though I can not implement it at this time.

Thanks for your assistance!

JR
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    you will not be able to use javascript with the form added links, you will need to use mysql and php,

but i may be able to help with the random javascript pictures..

i will see what i can do.
    JR

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    http://developer.irt.org/script/287.htm <--- this might help with some tweaking.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads