Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mocha Cafe Pt.2

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Click here

In the above is the newest "build" of the site I'm building. It was originally supposed to be a clone of www.bluekaffee.com , but I got really sick of how bad it can get (loading time wise), so I'm building this as a replacement for me, and whoever else wants to go there.

Any suggestions?

If you want to get an idea of how a user will navigate the site, sign up. You are given two more menus (user and friend).

Thanks,
    Josh

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Parse error right now. It's very... uhh... red :/
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Parse error should be gone, I'm constantly working on it... So expect errors sometimes!

Also, the red is cool!!! BUT, I am implementing styles for it, so it should be ALL good, soon! :P

Member #
    Try switching the two shades of red around so the white text is on the darker red colour. Increase the height of the navigation bar so the links aren't up-tight against the borders; I'd also remove the underline text decoration of those particular nav links. (...maybe even all text links ?)

See hows things look when you increase the margin space around your content, anywhere between 25 - 40 pixels may look a lot better in terms of proximety and spacing.

You've already got one realy high saturated colour in use; consider toning down the yellow to a more melow tint of cream. This should include links and whatever that substance in the tea-cup happens to be.

Take the time to find a nicely stylized font for your main header, the plain century gothic/helvetica like one just doesn't cut the theme. This would be a good element to introduce your secondary colour, yellow/cream whatever you may have stuck with becasue at the moment it doesn't really stand out as anything important.

I'm not a fan of the rasberry pink used on the text links. Perhaps you could introduce a few carefuly placed gradients to introduce some depth into the page.

There's no need to place a big, bold fat, ugly sign saying shouting 'Navigation!'. Users should intuitively be able to work out where navigable links are and what is intended to take them on to another page etc. If they can't see this obviously at glimpsing over the page you're goign wrong somewhere.

I think you should move your 'login/sign up' links to either one of the extreme sides of the nav bar so they stand out that little bit more as they're important. Spread some of your main links along the nav bar that are currently all under that one tab, 'Forums' and 'News' feel like pretty key areas to consider placing here.

*Use bold emphasis on your sub-headings to navigate visitors (eyes) around the page.

*Maybe add a pixel or two thick border around the main layout to seperate the transition of the two shades of red...

*Make yourself a 'Contact' link on the main navigation and/or create a page footer and place it along-side other details such as copyright etc.

A lot of this is off the top... it's late so I may amend areas tomorrow when I've got a clear head. I hope you find some of this helps you.

Member #
    I think you need to think about what sort of colours are good on a site of this style. The site is very bad on the eyes as it is completely red!

Change your navigation. It should be based across the page, not in a drop-down menu in my opinion.

I would say some more, but Trico has said most of it! . 3/5
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I'm not really bothered by all that red myself, and normally I am. I guess because there's a dark shade and a light shade, but whatever the case it, it doesn't offend me.

You should hyperlink your updates though. That way, when people who are lazy and stupid (like me!) want to find them, they can click a link and away they go.

Also, there's a small gap at the top with no matching bottom gap. Try to keep that symmetrical if you can.

4/5. Werd Lyfe.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Umm there is hundreds of warnings. I have seen much better from you. I am not sure if I am seeing what everyone else saw previously but at the moment there is nothing on it apart from 2 different shades of red and a load of MYSQl Warnings.
    Oh and a drop down menu.

Member #
    Nope it's different from before...

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Yeah, that is different. Someone's running an NT server.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    You're all wrong, I've moved it to a server that is better. Daniel, please don't doubt me, ever again!

http://www.sixthset.com/cafe/

I'm lovin' it.

NOTE: Alot of stuff is unfinished, we are coding it as we go, and nothing right now is final. Members.php is pretty close to final, or will be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads