Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: here's mine

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

http://www.estd.tk

comments/suggestions always appreciated

Member #
    I like the different design (color scheme, position on the page), but i'm not sure if I like the skinnieness of it. I wasn't sure what the site's purpose was at first, maybe an increase in size in the phrase "estd web design". There needs to be something to fill the blank space on the right, for some reason there isn't something right about that side. Also for the "past web work" I don't like the 'x' as being the link, it took me about 20 seconds to realize the 'x' was the actual link witch doesn't give good affordance of those links. Also, the "Back to Top" confused me because I never felt like I was on the top because I clicked links rather than scrolled down. Referring to 'home' or main navigation would help create more affordance. Other than that I love the creativity and wish you and the company the best.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    It almost worked.

It's just too small man.. made my eyes strain with the red/white shceme. Also your layout messes up in firefox,, and your links are blue?? Another gripe is that your two portfolio pieces are the same site in essence.

The header is very nice, the rest... not so much.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Good points above. Another comment about the portfolio: you list lots of clients, and show no samples. Instead of showing two similar portfolio samples, show more variety. And in a bigger area!

Member #
    Your layout messes up in Firefox, as Brak mentioned, and it just doesn't work on larger resolutions, because I can read the first few lines of 'About' when I'm actually on 'Portfolio'.

Your links are only readable if you have a liking for Dark blue on Dark Maroon (which I don't), and I feel wierd trying to focus on a 200px wide piece of my 1024 pixel wide screen!

Oh, and capitalise your website, use proper grammar, Sentences and Headings begin with a Capital letter, and sentences end in a full-stop (or period.). You seem to have forgotten these basic rules of English, to make your website look cool. Sorry, it just doesn't work for me. 2/5.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I'm with JLYL. I looked at this site from the standpoint of someone who does hire freelancers, and to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't hire you.

It's all well and good to be creative, but never sacrifice the functional nature of your site for something that may look good to you. Aesthetics is subjective, and functionality is...well, a lot less subjective. I couldn't even see your portfolio links until I set my screen res to 800x600 (it's at 1024x768 by default) and your font size is far too small.

Also, if you're using your site to get hired, it's not good to start talking about what kind of clothes you wear or how you spike your hair. Personally, I couldn't care less if you had blue hair and wiped snot upwards and back from your nose to keep it slicked down, as long as I can see that you understand what it is that I'm looking for (i.e. why I should hire you as a freelancer). I don't see that.

This isn't a knock against you personally; I find this scenario plays itself out quite frequently (I would say in at least half of the resumes I receive where people actually bothered to send them to me in the proper manner). But just because Johnny jumped off the bridge...blah blah blah, yadda yadda.

EDIT: One more thing. .tk. Sure it's cheap (free) but it's not very professional either. A domain name costs $8.00 a year and hosting for a basic site shouldn't run you more than about $5-$6 a month. For the sake of saving $80 a year (about $6.66 a month), you'll cost yourself more than that in business.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Yeah, I agree with TheGAME. If you want to be taken seriously you will need to sort out your domain name. .tk is hardly competitive against the likes of the .com/.net/.org/.co.uk etc domain names. If you were put along side other site domain names they would click the paid for domain names for sure every time.

Your site in my opinion is a bit strange. The way you have set it out instead of using actual pages you have used anchors and so on.

You need to have a lot more on there if you are going to get any work of any kind inless it is for free.

Sorry to sound harsh but there are a lot of good designers around, just as good that don't try to sell their services and bla bla bla. Those who do generally do make good portfolio sites and try to make them feel as professional as possible. Yours felt very personal and not very business like. Perhaps that is what you were aiming for.

Daniel.

Member #
    :dead: hey everyone, thanks for your critiques. i'll keep them in mind for future projects. honestly, i just started out and started web design to fill in my free time. i know my site is very unprofressional and that's just kind of what i was going for... no real specific reason for that, but i know it's just unique. but i'm open to any other comments/suggestions. thanks again... and to those of you just about to view... thanks in advance. :classic:

Member #
    Huh? Lol. Me no comprendhe. I thought the side bar was just to hold some content and links and the rest of the site was to the right of it. I waited for about 10 mins, exited, read some of the posts, then realised that WAS the site. Surely you don't want other visitors to do this?
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    I am a fan of the 'thin' look too, but that is pushing it.. I run at 1600x1200 resolution and the font is tiny.. I usually do not mind static sized fonts (small text doesnt bother me much when viewing sites) but yours is too much..

I would say font size up at least 1 size (if kept static), make the red links a little more readable (i have to look close.. which is rare for me).. even if you really really want it to be that thin, I would use a left margin (at least 100 pixels or so) to help it.
    The Temple of Dagon | Dagon Design
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die." - HPL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads