Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: First Concept

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Wanted to know what you guys think of this first concept I'm coming up with a client... Will fill out with more info once I get the outline from him (probably later on today).

Think I'm going in a good direction? I'll be creating a completely differnet concept no matter what soon, but as usual I tend to ask everyone's opinions and no one (that is design-worthy) is on AIM that I talk to right now
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Some aspects I like, some I don't.

Stuff I like:
    • The grey and white. They're nice and clean.
    • The sans-serif fonts being used. They're also nice and clean.

Stuff I don't like:
    • The dark blue. It's a little too much contrast, I find.
    • The company's name. That might have worked for them 5 or 6 years ago when 2000 was in the future, but not now. (I know this isn't in your control, but still, this irritates me when I see it now).
    • The :: thing. That's not something you want on a site like this. That's more if you have a text-based menu for some teen webcam blog site thing.
    • The dude in that picture. It looks like he was chewing on his pen and the ink exploded all over his chin.
    • The Book Antiqua (I think it's Book Antiqua) on the pic. It's not consistent with the sans serif fonts. Mixing sans-serif and serif is confusing on the eye whites.
    • The chick in the pic. She should have her phone number underneath her so that I can call it. She's not bad.

Hope that's constructive and useful to you.[/list]
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Definately is, thanks.

I'll be changing that :: to be honest, I didn't like it that much either. The 2000... can't do a thing about it. It's part of the company name and the pre-existing website.

I'll definately take the other stuff into consideration, but of course it'll be changing drastically once I get some content... I'm thinking I might go all Garamond... we'll see, which is also the font in the pic.

Member #
    The dark blue. It's a little too much contrast, I find.
    I agree, blue would still work just a lighter shade of it. A blue I often use is #0061C0. Not sure if it would suit your purpose here however.

I think perhaps your search box needs to be just a weeny big larger when coded .

With regards to your font choice, I like Garamond and it is a 'business' font as such. Experiment and see what works best. I think perhaps having a different font in your main picture would have a good effect though. Referring back to the picture, I think it is a little on the large side. When using the Web Developer toolbar in Firefox to make the window 800x600 wide, I reckon I could see about 3 lines of text (just a rough estimate).

3/5 so far .
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I liked the dark blue (it's a reassuring colour, and we are talking money here). I just wonder whether it would work better if the 'E check' text were in yellow, not white?

TheGame1264 wrote:
    The dude in that picture. It looks like he was chewing on his pen and the ink exploded all over his chin.
    It might be designer stubble - not that it's more forgivable or anything...

And why is it that the guy always gets to use the machinery, while the woman looks on admiringly? I don't think it's sexist, but it sure as eggs isn't real either.

TheGame1264 also wrote:
    The chick in the pic. She should have her phone number underneath her so that I can call it. She's not bad.
    Bet you can just imagine her swooning as you show her how to refomat your HD, eh Game? :lick:

Am completely in agreement about the size of search box and the ': :' things, though.
    My best pal's site: Algarve Beach Life :ichatcool:

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sarab
    TheGame1264 also wrote:
    Bet you can just imagine her swooning as you show her how to refomat your HD, eh Game? :lick:

Am completely in agreement about the size of search box and the ': :' things, though.
    Chicks dig guys who can maintain and build computers. She'd be madly in love with me as soon as I laid a little ipconfig on her.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Some updates (and a new one)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    PS WDF and editing attatchments just doens't work...

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I like the ehceck2.gif attachment better myself. The sans-serif is consistent across the board, and everything flows more nicely. I'd just add something to the header like you have in the first and third attachments; it's a bit plain.

Other than that, I'm down with it. Funky like a monkey, and take it to da pay winda, if you wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllllll.

Member #
    I like the latest one.. having the content there makes it look a lot better. I like the blue.. but I am not too crazy about the greenish zoomed in money in the background.. makes it look kindof grainy. if you can sharpen it up a big (higher res image maybe) it might work better.

I agree with both having a bigger search box and ditching the double colons. Maybe put a little more padding and space the menu items out more, and a bit more padding in the left column. I think the page needs some sort of footer.. other than that, looks good!

Edit: rofl @ the broken pen comment.. I would definently photoshop it out.. even if it wasnt on his chin, and just his shirt, the 'glow' from the lcd is a bit too much no biggie though
    The Temple of Dagon | Dagon Design
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die." - HPL

Remove Ads