Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

hello all,

ive been redesigning my already exisiting html site into a flash site. Im just curious to see what people think at this point. Any crists/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

http://www.wideopenwest.com/~kbrowe8086/

Member #
    Very simple and easy to navigate, however all the regular size text is very small and difficult to read on a 1280x1024 resolution.
    Normal is a setting on your washing machine.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by fitz
    Very simple and easy to navigate, however all the regular size text is very small and difficult to read on a 1280x1024 resolution.
    Yeah iv been noticing that even on my 1024 x 768 res... i think it has to do a little bit with the way flash deals with fonts/text and the size as well. does anybody know if there is a way to maintain the crispness of text that you would see in a html doc in flash?

Thanks fritz though for the crit... ive actually changed it a little and took out the 3d stills and exchanged them with a 3d abstract project i did that seamed to fit the sites miniamalistic feel. Let me know what you think

any other opinions?

Member #
    If I was you, I would make the text bigger even if it is WAS crisp at that small of a size, but there are ways to improve the appearance of text that is so small in flash. Here's a pretty good explanation:

Originally from http://www.designerstalk.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3440

I don't know how much are you familiar with fonts, structure, etc, so I'll asume you don't know this stuff I'm going to tell you.

Every font, even the ones you know for years, have a structure, therefore, they are specifically design for different kinds of use.

For ex. did you know that:

Frutiger/Human777: was designed many years ago for the Charles de Gaulles Airport in France. The idea was to design a NON-SERIF font that would be able read in any speed, at any angle, at different sizes. That's why, all the vocals and letters like c, s, etc have their angles, just a bit opener than the ones in helvetica, etc.

Verdana: is a font that was specifically designed by Microsoft for ELECTRONIC USE. If you have some "print" experience, you'll notice that "printed" verdana, SUCKS big ****. I mean it's horrible when is used above 10, 12 points.

Having said this, let's check this stuff:

1) Is your typography a PIXEL FONT/BITMAP FONT compliant?

Ex. Pixel fonts: kroeger, standard, hooge
    Ex. Bitmap Fonts, that aren't pixel fonts, but they're designed for screen use: Tahoma, Arial, Verdana, Times
    Ex. Any other font, designed NOT as a pixel or bitmap font: Helvetica, Frutiger, Futura, Square, etc.
    (this are the type of fonts, that, even if you do everything correctly, you wont' get crisp results, BECAUSE of their own structure, their wasn't designed to be used on screen with aliases)

2) If you have a Pixel Font or Bitmap Font compliant, but you still don't get crisp results, check if they are in the correct size.

Ex. Font's like kroeger, only work if you use them at 8 points, SPECIFICALLY. Not 7, nor 9. 8. "Standard" family in the other hand, only work when used in 9 size. So, sometimes, even if you do everything correctly, like choosing the right font family, you won't get a crisp results because of the wrong sizes used. One of the ways to avoid this is, to try different sizes and check them with Test Movie, then, and only then, when you already know the precise size of the font you'll use, you create your symbol (either graphic, button, or whatever) and NEVER, EVER change the size of the object, cause that will affect, of course, the size of the text object inside as well. Even a little variation like, 8.1, 8.2 will make everything useless.

Ex. another example is that, Tahoma, work great in Flash, BUT ONLY when used above 10 points, even thought we all know that Tahoma it is prepared to use from size 7.

3) If you have a pixel font or bitmap font compliant, AND you do use them at the right size, BUT you didn't placed the object on a exact pixel on your movie.

Ex. Flash it's a vector animation program (illustrator, corel, freehand are other vector programs), therefore, everything rendered in there, from draws to fonts, are drawn by the CPU as a result of mathematical operations, in difference to pixels/bitmap formats (jpg, gif, tiff, psd are common bitmap formats) that in order to render something on the screen, they just use stored info in every pixel.

Why's this important? Because if you look closer at your "inspector" tab on Flash, you'll see that, every object is placed on a movie, based on a X: Y: info that aren't made by perfect pixels. So, in Flash it is possible to have a 10 x 10 pixel square located at coordinates x: 23.3 y: 43.5 in the movie. This doesn't seem like a big trouble when using vector squares BUT IT REALLY IS WHEN YOU USE PHOTOS OR, IN YOUR CASE, PIXEL/BITMAP FONTS.

So, what you want to do is to select your text object, and check on the inspector that it is located on a EXACT PIXEL coordinate, like x:23.0 y:43.0 (notice the .0 after the number, instead of a decimal or fraction like .2, etc).

If you have been using flash for a while, you'll notice how some pictures, when animated, sometimes are rendered with some errors, like chopping parts (usually in the borders) and some glitches. That's because the person who used flash, didn't checked for exact pixels either.

On Flash MX you can avoid those nasty .X decimals at the end by selecting on the VIEW menu, the SNAP TO PIXELS option.

Just pay special attention to the size of your font according to which font you're using and the 'snap to pixels' option, and you should be set.

Lata.
    Normal is a setting on your washing machine.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    It's not loading at this end.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    On 1600x1200, the font is small, but as mentioned before, it is horribly blury looking. Even the bigger font as in the top 'News' is blurry.. it looks 'too' bolded.

I have not messed with flash too much, but this is the worst text I have ever seen used in flash.

Very nice read fitz! I am sure you can take this information into account srichards00 and make a huge improvement. The interface is not bad at all.. not too sure if I am fond if the images that pop up in the content box on mouseover though.
    The Temple of Dagon | Dagon Design
    "That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die." - HPL

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hmmm here too...I can only see the "Untitled Document" and that's it.

Member #
    Loading for me. I'd like to know why I need a DIVX codec and quicktime to view your site though...

You need to make the page background purple so that it isn't just 'there' on the page. Also you should increase font size and make the navigation rollover better.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by justlivyalife
    Loading for me. I'd like to know why I need a DIVX codec and quicktime to view your site though...

You need to make the page background purple so that it isn't just 'there' on the page. Also you should increase font size and make the navigation rollover better.

Thanks for the sugestions. The reason why you are going to need divx, key word going, is because i am a 3d animator, and my movies are compressed in quicktime and divx 5.01. As of now obviously they are not uploaded as i have just started building this site. Most of the critiques you gave while valid were all ready accounted for... right now im just posting to see what people think about the design aesthetic of the page maybe i should have made that a little clearer :surprised: . By making the navigation rollover better??? what do you mean by that please explain as id like to know why it bugs you? Its weird though... the server im on must be really buggy because it loads for some people and not others

Keep em comming everybody!

Member #
    I'd remove the 'optimised for' comment on the home page, as it isnt really needed. If you reduce the size of the file to around 780 pixels wide, then it will fit on 8*6 okay.

Rollover the news, it all blows up to the right, whereas the links in the middle blow up from the centre . They should all be the same, and the rollover effect could fade a bit? Just an idea.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Remove Ads