Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How is my site?

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello,

Please check out my site at http://www.giantwebdesign.com

I would appreciate any contructive comments

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I'm going to be very, very harsh in my criticism. Normally, I try to find at least one positive in a website but in this case, I can't. I don't see any positive aspects in this website. So I'm going to say some things that you probably won't want to hear, but do so in the interest of trying to point you in the right direction.
    1. Your top menu. The coordinates plotted for the individual menu items don't make common shapes, like rectangles. They should do so, and they should also be somewhat larger than their text elements in order to allow users to point somewhere close to the text and still have a change at getting at the menu item.

You should also either have an icon associated with all of the menu items or none of them, to keep things consistent.

Mouseover effects wouldn't hurt here, either.
    2. Your site menu. Either go with upper/lowercase or all caps. Either way, keep it consistent. Personally, I'd prefer upper/lowercase as a user but that's really your call.
    3. The content itself. Whatever it is you're trying to sell, it's very vague and ambiguous. For example:
      What kind of service do you provide?

All of our clients have been quite pleased with our work. We provide services well beyond the sale.
      What does that mean? It should list all the services you provide. That tells me absolutely nothing as a user.
      Welcome to GiantWebdesign.Com. We know there are many webdesigners out there. We can provide many services to our clients. Our prices are competitive. We hope you choose us. Customer is satisfaction is our main goal.
      You've got five different thoughts in the same paragraph. What are you trying to say in this paragraph? It doesn't make sense.
    4. Contact Us needs an address and phone number. If you want people to contact you, you had better provide this information so that 1) people know where you're located and 2) they can see a physical address and a telephone number with an actual person they can talk to if they have to.
    5. Links. Take this section out. Your clients aren't going to want to visit these pages, and if they do, you'll end up educating them on the process of design just enough to be very, very dangerous.

I never tell my clients anything about the technologies we use in anything but the most general terms. I don't do this to be misleading, but rather to make sure they understand that which they need to know, and keep that which they don't from cluttering up their heads (and with my clients, that's often a very important thing to do!) If someone asks, and has some programming or design knowledge, then yes, I'll tell them, but not if they're someone who can barely turn a computer on.
    6. A portfolio of your work. Where is it? I don't see it. I want to see stuff that you've done. I can't do that from here.

In other words, you really need to think through your site's logic and look at it from an end user point of view some more.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I agree with everything TheGAME said but:

On the prices page you charge $10 for 1 page of HTML (how do you propose to make any money whatsoever charging those sort of prices) but you don't aoppear to offer a full web site...just one page. I find this strange and find most of your site confusing to be honest. Sorry...
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    A note about rediculously cheap prices:

People aren't stupid. They want to pay for labor done, hence my stance on every job is custom quoted. I tell the clients straight up how much work I think it is going to take me, and how much I charge per hour. I give them a quote on this and other costs (purchasing software, whatever).

$10 per page means I'm going to be spending ~1 hour per page. This is just a lie. I know that it's going to take me far more than one hour to code/design one full design for a site, but far less than one hour to create additional pages based upon this information. Being honest has worked for me, I suggest you try it. People don't want cheap work, they don't want expensive work, they want honest work.
    Kyle Neath: Rockstar extraordinare
    The blog | The poetry site | The Spore site

Member #
    There are many different tastes out there.
    What might be good for one, might not be good for another.
    [quote]
    What have any of these comments got to do with your service? You haven't got a portfolio, your sample design isn't that good. Your 'Web Design' page should detail what your company does. Apart from this, sort out your grammar!
    Affiliate Programs are designed to turn clicks into cash. This is a great opportunity for you and others to start making money on your web site. You set the prices and conditions. We do the rest. Visitors can login and check how much they have earned. The more they earn, the more successful you become.
    Again, this agrees with TheGAME's 3rd point, what does it mean?!

You can't sell web design services 'on the cart'. I wouldn't trust your company, simply because you use paypal to transact, and offer an 'add to cart' system. People could pay you and then you mayn't respond to their emails, so they have lost, say $100 for a 10 page website (which is completely ridiculously charged anyhow.)

You need to sort out your design and strategy before you start selling. Sorry. 1/5.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Hello,

Thanks for all the comments. I will work on it.
    As far as the prices are concerned..... I wanted to keep the prices low so our company could pick up clientele. We are using paypal.....what method should we use to get paid?

Thanks

Roel

Member #
    This statement confuses me:

We believe that it essential in the webdesign business to find the right business solution for all your webdesign needs.

Also, you have lots of full-stops:

Welcome to GiantWebdesign.Com. We know there are many webdesigners out there. We can provide many services to our clients. Our prices are competitive. We hope you choose us. Customer is satisfaction is our main goal.
    6 full stops in 4 lines??? Lol. Anyway, these are major things and also, the design aint that great. 1/5 (and it only just got that)
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    My opinion is that not only your price should be low, but your site should be good too. By redesigning your site many times will make it better.

Member #
    I'm not saying Paypal is bad so much, though they are proven to be worse than many other companies. But the way you have set your website up. 'Add to Cart'. You can't just 'add' a website design to your shopping cart, it is something that requires precision and effort, it isn't just an 'off-the-shelf' procedure.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    What JLYL said. In your case, you can use PayPal to get paid, but don't expect anyone to do it upfront. I wouldn't.

And in answer to your comment left on my website contact form, yes and no. I did this full-time, but now I run the business end of things full-time and have 7 people underneath me doing the actual design/development due to the growth I've had.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads