Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi Everyone!

I have been looking for a decent web design forum over the last few days and this one seems to appeal to me the most!! Reading through old posts, it seems a real nice n friendly place :classic:

Ok, about me...my name is Ben, I'm 24 and live in Lancashire in England and I work as a Warehouse Manager. I have a passion for the net and I have recently been making some personal websites and toying with the idea of setting up a part time business doing this for small companies & the self employed.

So, my site is www.madcowweb.co.uk and this is my 4th re-vamp...I havnt done any other sites yet. I have only shown this to friends and colleagues, my sites seem to be like marmite...some people love it, others hate it!! lol i.e. some think the green is great, others say it dazzles em.

I know I need to get a portfolio together and get some other sites made, but I just want to know what you pro's think?

Any constructive critism would be greatfully received :classic:

Here's to the first post of many!
    Regards,
    Ben.
    [URL=http://www.madcowweb.co.uk]Lancashire Web Design/URL]

>>Please excuse the spelling in my signatures <<aranoid: aranoid:

Member #
    i like the navbar,but change the rollovers. IMO make it dark green, no bevel or shadow. u could also put a dark green offset shadow under the logo to make it stand out more. I dig the bg shape!

Once the portfolio is up it will be cool!

cheers

Member #
    Hi and welcome to WDF

About your site... [although Im technically not a pro but in the process of becoming a pro ]

> On my 1280 x 1024 resolution, the content text is hard to read, so I suggest doing one of the following:
    > > A. Chaging color of text
    >> B. Changing size of text
    >> C. Lighten the green of the background.
    >> D. Or any combination.

Also, on your services page I would reword this:

I make simple HTML sites like this one, crisp, clear and functional. My skills are limited, so if you require a flash site, ecommerce or database driven site then I will not be able to do this.
    But, you should at the least take out "My skills are limited", because it gives an impression that your not cofident in your work.

Great start and good luck!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    "I'll do it later!:tired:"
    - Dan Clarkson (me)

Protonic Studios I DanClarkson.net
    [both coming soon!]

Member #
    Simple Design that stands out

Hi Ben and welcome to the forum.

Here's what I liked: I really liked the green and the way you layed out out your site. I found it was simple and easy to use. I also liked the beveled rollovers.

Now, if it were mine to do I would play around with a logo design that complements the layout graphic that you have. Also on the About Me page I would start off introducing myself starting with my name. One other thing that I would work on the writing perspective. I would change it from a first person approach ("I create web sites") to a second person perspective ("Creating web sites for you").

One question though, do you think that "MAD COW" is going to create an attractive and comforting image for you company? It's just a thought.

Member #
    Heck, it's original.

Ahhh....I get it now Benjamin Stephen Ellis (BSE). BSE is a cow disease and is also known as Mad Cow disease. I'm right there, aren't I Mad Cow Web?
    Rednerve
    Creative Freelance Design

Member #
    Hi all.

Many thx for the reponse so far! All noted.

Ahhh....I get it now Benjamin Stephen Ellis (BSE). BSE is a cow disease and is also known as Mad Cow disease. I'm right there, aren't I Mad Cow Web?
    Yes, spot on wil...clever name isnt it....not lol

Now, if it were mine to do I would play around with a logo design that complements the layout graphic that you have. Also on the About Me page I would start off introducing myself starting with my name. One other thing that I would work on the writing perspective. I would change it from a first person approach ("I create web sites") to a second person perspective ("Creating web sites for you").
    Noted thx Karen.....the wording does need to be looked at throughout the site, I am an inpatient git and wanted something on the web instead on something on my hard drive...BTW, I like your site

One question though, do you think that "MAD COW" is going to create an attractive and comforting image for you company? It's just a thought.
    Comforting...I guess not...I wanted something memorable, unique and personal...hence the link to my initals.

To Dan & waynarky......cheers for the input, working on toning the green down slightly as I think people were getting hypnotised!

thanks again,
    Ben.
    [URL=http://www.madcowweb.co.uk]Lancashire Web Design/URL]

>>Please excuse the spelling in my signatures <<aranoid: aranoid:

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Very nice name, that's all I can say!

Member #
    Welcome to the forums Ben.

I will say your first posted site is much better than many we see here (not directed at anyone, just a compliment to Ben).

On my LCD the green is a little bright, and the white logo in the upper right is hard to read. The boarder you have is a cool effect, but I might try to make it look like something. Torn paper edges, ripped cloth, etc. I also agree that the rollovers could use some work. Nice work though, welcome to the boards.

Member #
    It is a nice site, but I do agree with all the comments made so far.

I would like to see a portfolio of your work, and I'm not too sure that the 'fun stuff' page belongs on a web design site... Just a thought. 3/5
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Aah... A nice site indeed! Very original, fresh colours and tasty in its simpleness. However, one thing I think would have been cool, if you remove the shadow from the layout. I don't say I know it will look better. But as i'm sitting here and trying to imagine how the site would have looked without it. I think it will be a positive effect. So I recommend you try it, and if you think it looks better, be sure to let me know, so I can see if my head is put right on.. :P
    Less is more!
    My site:
    http://pedersen.port5.com/

Remove Ads