Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Which should I choose?

Thanks in advance!!!

Member #
    Hi DesignGuy,

Have you tried working with both of them? What kind of blog do you have in mind? (large, going for the gold type, or a personal journal....)

Regardless, between the two (if that is all I had to choose from), I would lean heavily towards WordPress. The vast amount of support, add-ons, themes, etc...

But this could become a much more complex question if you're looking more for a CMS type solution. Then we've got Joomla, Drupal, Magento for ecommerce, etc...

Glad to help, just need some background info.

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by DesignGuy
    Which should I choose?

Thanks in advance!!!
    Josh

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DesignGuy
    Which should I choose?

Thanks in advance!!!
    If Linux, the more stable, secure, and efficient operating system looke just like and could run Windows programs, which would you use? Windows or Linux? =)

WordPress! When it comes to blogging, WordPress is the dominating factor, there is no other blogging software that even comes fractionally close.
    Lead Web Designer
    MLW & Associates, LLP.
    W3C Standards Complaint and SEO Friendly
    Admin of Vraul
    WordPress.org Developer

Member #
    I would say wordpress, but I wouldnt use their free version but to opt to download their software and put it on my own server so I can escape tos rules. Never been tos'd but if I do alot of work on a site I would hate to be tos'd and start over again.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Why are you worried about the Terms of Service?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Imagine a situation where you have created so many backlinks to a wordpress owned sub-domain. Now what if wordpress decides to TOS you. You basically lost all your work and have to start over. I would rather set up the wordpress on my own server so I can guarantee that no one will TOS me just in case. Like I said never happened to me but it doesnt hurt to think in advance. I guess you can also think of it like owning the domain or borrowing the domain from someone. If its that important you would never use a free subdomain vs getting your own.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    What do you mean by TOS you? Do you mean kicking you off for breaking their Terms of Service? If so, please clarify what part of their TOS you are worried about breaking? Is it something like you can only use it for a personal blog and not for a business, and if they deem traffic high enough they will kick you off?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Yes I did mean Terms of Service. Your correct about the personal and not business, the thing is all SEO can fall into advertising no matter how individuals think about it. Here's an exerpt on their TOS "does not contain unethical or unwanted commercial content designed to drive traffic to third party sites or boost the search engine rankings of third party sites". You can google "wordpress tos" and read the whole article. I just feel if they tos you and you have done so much work with the offsite seo, it literally makes you start from point a again. So if you plan to do alot of offsite SEO than I would suggest doing it on your own domain, so that you have control of your offsite SEO labor. If you get tos'd than your site will be off their sub domain yet they still own that subdomain and keep it active so that all the incoming links you set up still power there image and text links on that subdomain. Heres an example http://katyscammer.wordprexx.com/ change xx to ss. I didn't want to directly link because I dont know the rules here that well yet. You can see they ban the account yet still have their img link and 2 text links still on that page which sends pagerank to them.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I read through their terms of service, the only reason I can see that someone were to be deleted is either:
    a) Spaming and automated posting
    b) Copyright violations (ripping other sites off or posting pirated software)
    c) Posting excessive links to one 3rd party website

Other than anything outright illegal (which b is) I don't see any other reason they would remove your blog =S The service my company offers is about the same way, though we welcome businesses, and don't mind people linking out as long as it is a human doing so. If we, like Wordpress.com, detect any automated posting, they're deemed as spammers and shut down nearly immediately.
    Lead Web Designer
    MLW & Associates, LLP.
    W3C Standards Complaint and SEO Friendly
    Admin of Vraul
    WordPress.org Developer

Member #
    c) Posting excessive links to one 3rd party website

How does one define excessive, 1 link back per article? 1 link back per site? Because businesses that use blogs usually post 1 link back per article they write. If the wordpress is set to display 10 articles on the front page we would have 10 links to the 3rd party and might look excessive.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads