Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,
    I am not new to web building but I started using wordpress for the first time recently and not familiar with its coding. I have a very basic question about it. Lets say I want to insert a poll program that I have or I want to insert a picture or a calendar or any element into a wordpress layout (or should I say theme I am not sure). Is that possible or once you start using a theme, the layout and everythings is pretty much fixed?

In other words, getting stuck to whatever the theme allows me is not what I want. Can you insert any element that you like at any location? If so can you describe how should I go about it (which folders etc...)?

Note: I am not talking about inserting stuff to posts here. This is about inserting things to the pages.

Member #
    It all really depends on what specifically you are trying to accomplish. For the most part, you can include just about whatever you want into a theme. For example, a poll could be added to the sidebar or footer or elsewhere if you wanted. But if you're looking to integrate a third party script into a Wordpress theme, it might not be possible. In that case, you'd just have to create a separate file for that page and link to it.

A site that I've recently been working on is shoreupdate.com. Most of the site is built directly in Wordpress but there are four pages (directory, classifieds, calendar, coupons) that use third party scripts and therefore are not Wordpress pages. Everything you see on the home page, is done in Wordpress, though.

Member #
    nice website, I like it...
    I see, just theoretically speaking though, even in the main page, you could have inserted the calendar or directory, if you adjusted its size correct? By using frames etc... for instance?
    Also, in order to change layout and sizes of the elements in a theme which folder to you go to? Say for instance, I want to insert a picture right in the middle of the page so I need to adjust the layout of other elements. Which files or folders would you look at?

Member #
    Well I suppose you could do it by using frames...though I'd rather bore a hole in my head with a dull spoon.

If you look in your template files, you will see the file for index.php. That is the file which controls the home page (*see note below). This file contains predominately html with a bit of php/wordpress shortcode thrown in. You can treat the html just like you would any other html site. Insert a picture where you want it, edit the stylesheet to style it. Easy peasy.

Note: Wordpress will allow you to designate another page as the "home" page. So if you don't need the loop on your home page, you can create a Wordpress Page and tell Wordpress to use that as the home page. This is done in Settings > Reading.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Best way: make a plugin that includes its own widget, drag that widget into the area you want to display it and whala =)

There are several tutorials on how to do this, but basically after you're done with the plugin headers:

Code:
    wp_addwidget('my_widget', 'My Widget Name');
    function my_widget() {
    // bunch of html and code here....
    }
    In the Appearance menu you should see your new widget as "My Widget Name".
    Lead Web Designer
    MLW & Associates, LLP.
    W3C Standards Complaint and SEO Friendly
    Admin of Vraul
    WordPress.org Developer

Remove Ads