Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi All! I have a custom wordpress theme I downloaded, and I noticed it uses h2 tags in the sidebar for words like 'Categories' 'Archives' - I dont want these at all and would rather them in <p> tags, but retaining the styling.

Although I'm quite confident with html/css ive not built a wordpress template from scratch and am unfamiliar with these - can anyone tell me how to change the sidebar titles (Categories, Archives, Recent Posts.. etc) to <p> instead of <h2>?

My blog is at: www.reachingmorepeople.co.uk

Thanks in advance people x Emma

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Emma

Just go to your wordpress dashboard and select 'appearance' from the menu on the left.

then select 'Editor'.

You then look in the list on the right of the screen and select 'sidebar' or similar from the list.

You can then see the code.

Just go through it and find your h2 tags and change them.

Easy as that :-)

Hope this helps

Rich

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    They should be h4 elements. Don't try to trick Google by only using headers on keyword strings - they'll figure it out.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Emma

In my experience having h2 tags in the sidebar will not damage your SEO. So I would be tempted to leave well alone. If your h1 & h2 tags only contain keywords it will not look normal and will get you in trouble with Google.

It is more important to ensure good post/page titles (that contain your keywords) and descriptions. Then good content with a sprinkling of keywords. Make sure that the post title is included in H1 tags in the body of the post.

Also make sure you use a plugin like All in One SEO Pack which will sort the SEO out for you in its basic settings.

I hope this helps.

Rich

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi guys, thanks for the help Im relieved about Rich's last post because I actually wasnt able to do this - changed style.css, and header.php to use a h4 tag instead of h2, but then when publishing I getugly unstyled h2 tags - and I peek at the code with Firebug, the h2 is right back there..

I edited .sidebar h2 within the theme, and then changed all h2 tags to h4 tags within sidebar.php, but in the code when the page is published theyre in there as <h2 class="widgettitle">

I dont know where that h2 tag came from as its not in the sidebar file, and can find no css properties for "widgettitle"

The theme I'm using is 'Slidely' - http://newwpthemes.com/?s=slidely

Can anyone give any insight? Just concerns me as perhaps taking what Rich advises into account I wont need to edit here but will do in the future and itll be a pain to not know whats going on..

Emma

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Emma

It's a nice theme.

I am guessing that you are using the dynamic sidebar which means that the elements in the sidebar are widgets which are generated on the fly by the php code.

There will be a function somewhere but often they are encoded so you can't change things at that level.

Best to park this for a while and focus on generating content :-)

Rich

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Rich

Thanks, good advice I think

Anyone know of any nice themes similar to this?? Id rather use a paid one to be honest.. ive shamefully hidden 2 ads at the bottom of the page (i thought itd totally put users off.. theyre sorta spammy BADCREDIT? type things..but new wp themes requires them to be there in order for me to use that theme..)

I dont have $100's to throw away but a decent enough theme, with the social networking buttons already there (Digg, twitter, facebook, etc) and some sort of slideshow of post images would be so much nicer if it were ad free..

Any resources people know of? (As i said, paid is fine.)

Emma x

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Emma

I had a quick look at the Newthemes site and it does not include any terms of use for their themes!

I then downloaded the iStrive theme and again there are no terms of use.

So I am guessing that you do not have to show ads. So just switch them off.

Plugins => widgets and drag them out of the sidebar.

Then you can stick with these themes as they are very good.

Rich

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Rich

Thanks, but try to download the theme 'Slidely' by new wp themes, then try to remove "Download Free Verizon Ringtones Online. | Thanks to Best CD Rates, Bank Deals and Bad Credit" from the footer - see what happens to your wordpress theme! Just a bit red box with black bold text..

Emma

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Emma

I loaded the theme onto my test blog and managed to get rid of the offending ads

here is a video of the process

Cheers

Rich

Remove Ads