Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi all. This forum has been better than wordpress' own for WP help, so just to throw that in before I start and say thanks

I've just downloaded this plugin: http://www.se x ywp.com/fmp (without the spaces - otherwise the letters get replaced with stars!)

I tested it on a blog using wp version 2.9.1 - worked fine. tested it on the actual blog i wanted to use it on, using the same theme, version 2.9.2 - problem.

the plugin installs, and i can activate it thru wordpress fine, but after i do, no link to its settings appears in the settings tab, and no icon for the plugins appears in the Page/Post editor toolbar - so I can't use the plugin.

the plugin says its compatible up to 2.9.2, so i think it may be something else - perhaps to do with file permissions or something :/ (i did not install wordpress onto this blog myself )

Im asking if anyone recognizes this problem as something thats happened with one of their plugins, or anyone could throw in a guess about what might be wrong thats making it not work??

Help would be much appreciated very frustrating!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    you may have to chown the folder where plugins get installed:

chown -R www-data plugins_folder_name (for Ubuntu & Debian)
    chown -R nobody plugins_folder_name (for RedHat and CentOS)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks steve but im not sure what chown is, and i do not have a clue what this means:

chown -R www-data plugins_folder_name (for Ubuntu & Debian)
    chown -R nobody plugins_folder_name (for RedHat and CentOS)
    could you explain to me? :/ thankyou!

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    It's a Linux command. Change owner. It changes the owner of the plugins directory to apache so it can create new files in there if necessary. Not sure how Wordpress works, so it's just a stab in the dark.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    im sorry i wouldnt have the faintest idea whether that would work here! is it easy enough to try out?

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    you would need access to your file system. not sure if you can do that with cpanel. otherwise, you'll need terminal access to your linux system.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    access to file system as in using an ftp client? im not too clued up on server oriented things..can i ask the server people to do anything?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If it helps - i just updated the first blog i tested it on (2.9.1 - worked) to 2.9.2, the plugin still works fine on that blog.

The problem blod (same version, same theme) is on a diff server. I have had trouble with wp-oriented things on this server before. i have to go thru the server technicians because i do not understand this stuff myself.

one of the things that had to be done to make the plugin work was:

Make sure the write permission of `wp-content` is 755
    i have done this on the problem blog, however its still not working - thought that might give a bit more of an insight for more knowledgeable people about the answer

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    write permissions and file owner are similar tasks. Tell them to

chown -R www-data wp-content
    chmod -R 755 wp-content

That should do it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thanks Steve, hope it works. Is it too much to ask to get an explanation how this would work?? Just so i know for future if it happens to a diff plugin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads