Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey there,

So our web designer ditched out on us after getting paid and we have some things that need fixing and I know nothing about wordpress.

here's the site: http://earcandymusic.net/category/artists/

We add content by logging into wordpress and adding a new post. We are not using the site as a blog though. Setting the category is what places it either on the artists page or the portfolio page.

Here's the problem. If you look on the artists page there is the featured artists in the main section and then a list of other artists at the bottom. If you click on one of the artists on the bottom the next page now includes "portfolio" posts in that list. How do I make that list only include posts from the artist category.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Neil

Member #
    don't know how to delete the post... I figured it out

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Send someone to his doorstep to collect the money back.

Then hire a new Wordpress designer.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Code:
     query_posts('showposts=1&cat={Category ID here}');
    Just in case anyone in the future is wondering how.
    Lead Web Designer
    MLW & Associates, LLP.
    W3C Standards Complaint and SEO Friendly
    Admin of Vraul
    WordPress.org Developer

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quick question to the OP, the designer didn't happen to be John Evans of TradeMark Media Group or EvansPress? The owner of our company use to work for the guy and quit about a year ago after seeing the guy do the very same thing over and over again for about 3 months strait. I'm asking because we have the guy's address should you want to try and reclaim your money.
    Lead Web Designer
    MLW & Associates, LLP.
    Admin of Vraul
    WordPress.org Developer

Member #
    Thank you Danny, unfortunately I figured that out on my own by spending a whole day tracing my way through files and fiddling with code I had no understanding of. You coulda saved me all that hassle! Well, I understand how wordpress works a little more out of it.

And no it was not John Evans. It was some guy in London, so showing up at his doorstep would be quite difficult.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I'll shoot out a PM to Wired and see if we can't get a forum put up with developer reviews on them. I for one would hate to see someone loose out on money like that if it could have been avoided by reading a review made by members of this forum =).

Sorry about the long absence though, my company(s) have been pretty busy as of late, we just finished with the Irish Government's website so we get to have some rest now he he.
    Lead Web Designer
    MLW & Associates, LLP.
    Admin of Vraul
    WordPress.org Developer

Member #
    I hear ya man, that's a good idea. No worries about the delay. like I said I learned some about wordpress because of it and actually I'm going to to start really diving in to using wordpress to create dynamic sites so I don't have to update content for clients. I don't have a lot of experience with PHP though so it's kind of difficult.

And actually regarding the fix, I checked it out and I did something different. I tried what you suggested and it told me it couldn't find the class 'query_posts'

I think I found somewhere else on the site where it was pulling things for a specific category so I used the same code for the problem section. Here's what I did:

WP_Query("cat=".get_option('ds_artists')."&showpos ts=");

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by The Real Deal
    I hear ya man, that's a good idea. No worries about the delay. like I said I learned some about wordpress because of it and actually I'm going to to start really diving in to using wordpress to create dynamic sites so I don't have to update content for clients. I don't have a lot of experience with PHP though so it's kind of difficult.

And actually regarding the fix, I checked it out and I did something different. I tried what you suggested and it told me it couldn't find the class 'query_posts'

I think I found somewhere else on the site where it was pulling things for a specific category so I used the same code for the problem section. Here's what I did:

WP_Query("cat=".get_option('ds_artists')."&showpos ts=");
    Oh yeah you used the name, the cat= in query_posts has to be numeric, I just helped a guy figure that out and told him you have to hover over the "edit" link on a category to get the number. When you place that in there it queries the posts properly with only one DB query. You're way is not wrong, but there is extra db querying going on though, which if you're site is getting sluggish, sometimes that one query can make a huge difference he he.
    Lead Web Designer
    MLW & Associates, LLP.
    Admin of Vraul
    WordPress.org Developer

Member #
    yeah if there's a faster way I definitely want to use it. here's what I got when I used the category ID:

Fatal error: Class 'query_posts' not found in /mnt/local/home/ecmusic/earcandymusic.net/wp-content/themes/Candy/single.artists.php on line 44

which is the spot where I put the code

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads