Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm having a hard time understanding WordPress. Where does the line between HTML/CSS/Javascript/PHP end and WordPress begin? I heard that WordPress allows you to design websites and allows the clients to update them, but to what degree?

How much control does one surrender by using WordPress? And how much can the client update on there own? If you use WordPress do you need to use it for the entire site or is it possible to only integrate the blog aspect of it?

BTW, I'm a novice programmer with a basic understanding of the web design and web development process who would like to eventually learn the coding aspect of both.

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    WordPress was originally designed for blogging, but it became apparent that
    it could be used as a more generic CMS (content management system). With that,
    people have been designing broader templates that offer more of a web page look
    than a blog look.

You hear about PHP because it's a PHP script. This forum you're viewing is also PHP.
    That's the language it's programmed in (server side scripting).

I recommend that you subscribe to a cheap webhost (without banner ads), and install
    WordPress ... just play around with it. It's free, and many webhosts have a part on
    the control panel where you can install scripts with the click of a button.
    You would learn the most by messing-around with it.

Member #
    Recently I have been developing more and more with WordPress. You have complete control with WordPress.org

One popular trend with clients is the ability to update content on the fly and without having an outsourced IT person be responsible for managing the content. A lot of smaller businesses and organizations don't have dedicated IT staff to handle this stuff therefore I recommend a CMS system (typically WordPress) as a simple means of accomplishing this. The WordPress admin section is user friendly and easily adaptable from browser plugins as well. (ScribeFire)

Tying WordPress into a website is simple as well. I usually set up a subdomain like blog.domain.com or domain.com/blog and tie it in that way as well as making simple <?php include(); ?> calls throughout the pages.

I hope this helps.

Member #
    See if you can set it up locally on your machine, joomla can be installed via xamp or wamp - possibly someone has created a server for a local machine install.
    normal website have no framework,

cms is a framework on to which you layer a template. when you load a cms it grabs all the bits out of its template for display purposes

Banned
    Member #
    Hello,

Thanks for the valuable details.

Remove Ads