Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm not a web design newbie, but am new in the CMS world and have been given the opportunity to quote an e-commerce website. It's a total re-design for a sign/vehicle/t-shirt graphic/production company. They want a shopping cart to buy several in-stock signs/tees they sell regularly. Down the road they want the ability for a user to be able to design online a simple tee-shirt or sign design and order it. They also was to do some of their own updates, so I'm thinking a CMS website will best.

What do I quote, do I try and find outside sources to help me construct? Any advice and answers will be great! Thanks!

Member #
    It depends what country you are in. I would think somewhere between $400-$1,000 - including the T-Shirt creation feature and eCommerce capability.

Member #
    Well I'm in North Carolina, USA. $400 does seem a little low, I charge $300 for a new site normally, and I'm told that's too low by several people. The t-shirt design I was going to quote separate since that's going to be a lot of research and a lot of coding. Thanks for the advice - it's really appreciated!

Member #
    You have to realize that these days there is someone in India that will do the same thing for $100! I guess it really depends on your client. If they are smart you may not be able to charge as much.:-\

Member #
    Sorry and In the last comment I mean 400-1000 <strong>NOT</strong> including the t-shirt/ecommerce feature.

Member #
    What is in it for the client?

If it's just an editor window - $300 + $2

If you are offering brand journalism, plogging, visual merchandising - $300 + $1,500

Most people are selling a jet engine on the premise it'll make a darned good burger: The Client Playpen CMS proposition. All you offer is a safe place for remedial text editing and image posting where the client can't get at markup or code.

This is a mockery and oblivious to the fact the letters C.M.S. stand for something.

If you actually use the CMS for content management, not content storage, price you can charge is higher. It's all in the client perceived value. An editor window is something all websites should have had ten or more years ago, so it's worth about two bucks.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    The price really depends on the extent and quality of the work in my opinion. People are willing to pay a bit more for something that looks nice and is easy to use because it will make their lives easier in the long run.

I'd definitely charge more than what you are charging now for a standard website. $300 is low and if you're going to give them something that kicks ***, they should be willing to pay for it.

Remove Ads