Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jj1
    Member #
    I'm now starting to find my way round Wordpress as a cms site but wondered if it was any good for ecommerce?

Has anyone had any experience of using it for ecommerce? Any good points/bad poitns/limitations? Basically - will it do the job for an ecommerce site?

Member #
    It will if you install a couple of plugins however that said I will say with some experience that Wordpress is okay at best (in my opinion) for ecommerce there are much better solutions available. Like for instance I don't know exactly what you plan to sell on your site but if your building a fairly large scale store front Joomla with Virtuemart is a very good Choice however if your only selling one or two items its major over kill. Nice thing about going wordpress to Joomla is that its not all that hard to port data over from one to the other either. All in all I wish you good luck if you choose to use wordpress. Like i said above its not impossible and for a small scale operation its very doable.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Suggest Shopp if you're going to go with WP for ECommerce. They claim PCI Compliance.

VirtueMart for Joomla is garbage. Don't do it. If you want the next level of ECommerce, go straight for Magento.

Member #
    Shopp is actually quite good I will agree with that although there are some issues with customization that I found to be quite bothersome. That said however Shopp is a good Choice.

As far as virtuemart is concerned the set up process is a bit daunting and time consuming however if properly completed I find virtuemart to be a very capable piece of software. Again that said there are many different options available for both joomla and wordpress and in no way should you feel stuck with using any particular one. Go to wordpress.org and do a search for Ecommerce and see what you come up with there are several good choices available. What will work best for you i cant say without getting more information from you though.

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    I should preface my opinion by stating that I haven't actually used VirtueMart in about 3 years. They may have improved it in that time.

Member #
    I will agree that there are a few things I wish were different however ive had good luck with virtuemart on the few sites ive used it on.

jj1
    Member #
    Many thanks - if Wordpress is "doable" I will probably stick at it for now. I'm just finishing a simple Wordpress site where the customer will just display pottery for now (his choice) and then sell 10-20 different types of pottery (each with its own cups, saucers, plates, teapots etc) at some stage in the future. Does this sound like the type of thing Wordpress can do OK?

Member #
    For something this small scale wordpress should function fine. I'd look into getting Shopp as smoseley suggested.

Member #
    Re:

Wordpress is very best CMS to manage content of website. but as per your e-commerce requirement wordpress is not giving such functionality to manage e-commerce. so i would like to suggest you to use Magento for your e-commerce site.

Member #
    Looked into zencart? Very good shopping cart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads