Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    COOLL,, nice one thank you ever so much.. If i get stuck I will message again.

Thank you.

Member #
    I would go with either WordPress or BuddyPress - First of all YES it will support that many members. Second of all having a web developer build a CMS system for you is not only more expensive but you are going to have to pay them every year to update the system and what not. WordPress updates their CMS frequently so it is always up to date to modern coding/web standards.

Another reason is plugins - you can keep adding more and more functions to your WP site with plugins whereas otherwise you will have to pay everytime you want something.

Member #
    COol,,, I appreciate that really. It makes me much calmer about having it worpress developed. I will defnatly update as the site template is created.

Cheers..

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    For 20,000 members, you should look at Open Source Community Software | Social Networking with Joomla - it's Joomla based, free, and can handle a community of that size just fine.

Member #
    JomSocial is nice but I am a bigger fan of BuddyPress - BuddyPress.org | Home

Member #
    Hm, Cool, the site we need right now should allow members to post their portfoios online. I actually have another project of a church comunity which I think will suit joomsocial best. Does joomsocial require a lot coding??

Cheers.. You guys are helping me a lot. Thanks

Member #
    the conversation helps me a lot! i m semi -new to start something and i am between joomla and wordpress, . i ve seen really good design and functionality on wordpress sites but i believe joomla site is more "capable" , but more complicated to build too. (than a wordpr.) if someone can help and just continue repliying like i never posted here

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Its free, easy to setup and also available with many plugins and templates which have their own advantages. Its a right choice for blogging for the beginners.
    Hosting On Web - A web hosting company.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeDevDesign View Post
    You could use WordPress for this i guess, only thing is, are you going to be satisfied with the plugins that are out there.

If not, you will have to let someone write the code from scratch, this way it will be exactly as you want it to be. Since WordPress plugins don't always do what you want them to do.
    We agree, you could use WordPress to design this type of a site, however their plugins restrict you in terms of functionality and design aspects. You could also use WorPress and custom coding together, however that would cost more money.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    1. Difference between Wordpress and Buddypress? 2. WP security problems?

:classic: I am very interested in this discussion. I recently started another discussion "What the heck is CMS?" There we got to talking much about the pros and cons of Wordpress as a serious platform for multiple users and multiple domains. Here is a summary of my understanding so far--starting with my major questions...
    1. What is the difference between Wordpress and Buddypress? Buddypress claims to be for "multiple users." However one Wordpress installation enables unlimited users to open subdomain blogs, does it not...?? And even to activate these blogs on separate domains...?? Quoting Wordpress.org: ""Since Version 3.0, WordPress includes new multisite features, meaning that it can run many blogs, even with their own separate domains, on one WordPress installation.""
    2. According to my research, any "free" software will tend to have far more hacking incidents than any "paid" software, simply because of the increased volume of teenaged hackers who are able to read the "free" security updates.
      Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
      ...First of all, as JSCRIPT pointed out, open source "CMSes" (I hate that term, by the way) are suspect to vulnerabilities and attacks, including but not limited to SQL injection, inserting of random code that usually links to other sites of ill repute (done mostly for SEO purposes). This means you have to constantly stay on top of the site, updating it all the time, making sure every new version is installed, checking to see that all of the plugins work, going through all the crap, etc. Wordpress in particular is notorious for being a security problem.
    3. ...On the other hand... TheGAME, quoted above, also says that he has come across no "paid" software that is without significant problems... And I personally doubt that there is anything "paid" that includes the multi-domain functionality of Wordpress...? (There have been promising WP clones like "Lyceum" but presumably they tend to come and go...?)
    4. My own personal experience is that nothing is more "user friendly" nor more "user popular" than a blog-style CMS such as Wordpress. There are also numerous templates for Wordpress, in every price range starting at free, which can get Wordpress to appear like a standard website. (Caution: WP templates from unproven sources may contain malicious code.)
    5. STEVE MOSELY, aka TRANSIO, who has kindly joined this discussion, is a top notch webdesigner who has built numerous $2,000+ websites using Drupal and Joomla. However, like TheGAME, Mr. Mosely also does his own custom modifications, as well as totally custom CMS coding... It seems to me that any ongoing e-business would do well to hire someone like Mr. Mosely, Photosdotcom, TheGAME and other experts here...
    6. Drupal question. My own focus is for the Main Street USA type business, and for part-time e-business startups, both of whom prefer to spend very little... Therefore I would like to give them Drupal sites UNTIL and unless such time as they can afford a professional to improve it... So for Mr. Mosely and anyone with Drupal experience my question is... For creating and maintaining one ordinary website, would a standard DRUPAL, perhaps with necessary plug-ins but with no custom coding, still have significant security problems, hassles and headaches?
    7. Meanwhile for my first move, as a beginner as a part-time Webhost, I have decided to focus on Wordpress blogging sites for my less-demanding low-budget clients. (More-demanding clients or ongoing businesses will probably be referred elsewhere.) It seems to me that I can "probably" hire Wordpress experts on occasion for advice and modifications. I.e., by maintaining ONE Wordpress installation for 100 clients, I am hoping that things can stay somewhat do-able...?
    8. I agree with WPEXPLORER in avoiding "custom" modifications, if possible. They must be re-done repeatedly. But I will do "custom" modifications if advised for security reasons.

To summarize what I have learned in this WDF discussion, here are a few quotations...

Crespo:...I am looking to have a large site developed for my University students... The website will be supporting over 20 000 members. it basically is going to function a little like facebook.... What is your advice on this?
    OrangeDevDesign: That is a pre already, buddypress is made for multiple users. So thats good.
    bmlcreative: We've used Wordpress to build our entire portfolio site. It's an awesome programme with a lot of scope but it does need custom coding to get the best out of it - plugins are just too limiting... web design leeds
    WPExplorer: I would go with either WordPress or BuddyPress - First of all YES it will support that many members. Second of all having a web developer build a CMS system for you is not only more expensive but you are going to have to pay them every year to update the system and what not.
    smoseley: For 20,000 members, you should look at Open Source Community Software | Social Networking with Joomla - it's Joomla based, free, and can handle a community of that size just fine.
    Photosdotcom: We agree, you could use WordPress to design this type of a site, however their plugins restrict you in terms of functionality and design aspects. You could also use WorPress and custom coding together, however that would cost more money.

Wordpress performance suggestions found at WebhostingTalk.com:

BRENTPRESLEY: When it comes to WP sites, one of the CRITICAL things is to make sure you are running good caching plugins (Hyper Cache and WP Super Cache are our favorite two). I guarantee you that a "poor" host with a properly cached site will run circles around a "good" host with a non-cached site.
    ATLASNETWORKSeric: Listen to this man, he speaks the truth! We use W3TC here in conjunction with Memcached for caching, and eaccelerator for PHP precompiling. In that config, Wordpress loads as fast as static pages do.
    BRENTPRESLEY: Hyper Cache is my personal favorite. On our sites we've noticed that it doesn't interfere w/ display changes. If you have a site that pounds the mysql DB as well, you can install DB Cache Reloaded, and it works GREAT alongside Hyper Cache. For the heavy hitters on our servers (which should probably be on their own VPS), this combination has kept them from getting booted off the server.
    JARRIS: ...I've heard people say don't run more than 10 [plug-ins] but I've got 14 active and they're just the basic ones... I did have WP Super Cache running, but it would cache so well that even hard refresh didn't display changes. Of course that was just the basic settings. Where do you suggest I get WP advice? Wordpress.org forums aren't great, and the IRC channel is pretty dead too...
    PH-BRANDON: """"...WP Super Cache... would cache so well that even hard refresh didn't display changes."""" That's good and better for the server.

Any additional suggestions and comments would be welcome!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads