Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi,,

I am looking to have a large site developed for my University students. I have a quote from a Wordpress webdesigner saying its possible to make a complex comunity site. Another quote comes from a developer who is willing to write the code from scratch but is charging double the amount in comparison to the wordpress person.

The website will be supporting over 20 000 members. it basically is going to function a little like facebook.

What is your advice on this?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You could use WordPress for this i guess, only thing is, are you going to be satisfied with the plugins that are out there.

If not, you will have to let someone write the code from scratch, this way it will be exactly as you want it to be. Since WordPress plugins don't always do what you want them to do.

Member #
    Ahh cool, I think I will ask the developer that question. I was worried maybe it wasnt going to be powerfull enough. But thanks for your reply, really clrifies a lot for me. He is also using buddypress, I dont really know what that is.

Cheers.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    That is a pre already, buddypress is made for multiple users. So thats good.

Member #
    Ah cool. Cheers, Thats really hepful. Thanks a lor for the answers.

Member #
    We've used Wordpress to build our entire portfolio site. It's an awesome programme with a lot of scope but it does need custom coding to get the best out of it - plugins are just too limiting

Member #
    Ahh cool, Nice one,, The person can work on it I think. Could I please see the folio site you have created?

Thanks

Member #
    Sure, it's here: web design leeds

Member #
    Wow,, Thats done using wordpress? has it got a control pannel also?? wow its great. i love it. its given me a bit of hope now..

Cheers for that

Member #
    Yes, it's just Wordpress, with a bit of custom coding inserted into the right places. But the whole thing is administered using Wordpress's standard admin interface. It's very flexible once you know what you are doing ;-)

Good luck with the new site!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads