Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    HI - I have looked all over for the answer to this - hope someone here can help -

I am trying to set up a WordPress site so that the HOME page is styled in style A, the ABOUT page in style B, and the all rest of the pages, including the post pages, in style C.

To be more clear
    - the "home" page will be a static page, with a particular layout and font, colours, etc. - and no sidebar.
    -the "about" page will also be a static page, with similar but slightly different layout to the home page, same colours, fonts, etc., again with no sidebar.
    -the "blog" page will be the posts page - styled in "normal" WP style - menubar at the top and sidebar with search, categories, archives, etc.
    - each individual post page will be the same style as the "blog" page
    - there will be several other pages for photo galleries that will populate from Picasa or some other online source, styled the same as the "blog" page.

Is this even possible?

Or do I have to make the "home" and "about" pages in HTML and CSS, outside of the WP directory and somehow link them into the WP part of the site?

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    No WP template (paid or otherwise) will really give you this flexibility. WP is great, don't get me wrong, but to achieve what you want you're better off building a WP template yourself from scratch, in HTML/CSS as you suggested. It's not as hard as you might think. Will see if I can find you a decent link to start you off...

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    you're better off building a WP template yourself from scratch, in HTML/CSS
    Thanks. I have done something like this on my own site, where I have styled the homepage etc in HTML and CSS and then styled the WP blog theme as closely as possible and put it into its own directory. But in this case I need the admin backend available to edit ALL the pages - so updates will be easy for someone who doesn't know (and doesn't care to learn) how to edit HTML and CSS, or how to use FTP.

The HTML and CSS don't scare me - but I have been know to have actual nightmares about PHP, and I believe that is the basis for WP, isn't it?

I can do simple stuff like includes and dates and stuff in php, but "for loops" and "while loops", along with arrays and those other beasties - they make my knees shake! I am reading tutorials and trying to learn, but there's a bit of a deadline involved (three weeks), and I don't think I'll be ready in time to do what I need to.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    You will need to create a new template page for each layout you need and you might also need a different css for that template depending on what your doing. Although, probably easier to use css as is.

The easiest way is to open up the default page template in your editor and save with the new name e.g. twoColumn.php At the very top of the new template page enter the following:

<?php
    /*
    Template Name: twoColumn
    */
    ?>

This lets wp know it's a template page and you will be able to choose it when you create a new page in wp admin area.

Comment out any code you don't need and test results.
    i.e.

//<?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . '/sidebar1.php'); ?>

If you don't want the blog to appear on a specific template page then comment out the whole block of code using the following code between the correct PHP tags:

<?php
    /*
    if (have_posts()) : while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
    >
    >comment out any other code you don't want
    >
    */

When you're happy with the result remove the code you have commented out to tidy things up.

Hope this helps.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I really appreciate the help from everyone - I was unaware that I could use more than one template in a single WP site - how cool!

Now I'm going to experiment like mad and see what I can come up with!

Cheers,

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare View Post
    I really appreciate the help from everyone - I was unaware that I could use more than one template in a single WP site - how cool!

Now I'm going to experiment like mad and see what I can come up with!

Cheers,
    Let us know how you get on... :-)

Remove Ads