Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Theme design

Member #
    Hey guys, I apoligize if this has been covered, but I have looked through wordpress section of the forum and found nothing. I am a novice with web design and only got in to it due to my job.. I have decided moving over to a wordpress to make updating my sites easier rather than having to rewrite code (which I suck at). I'm an art guy to begin with, so creating a nice looking page in photoshop I can do, but to make the site work well with wordpress, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around. From what I have found, I can create the design in photoshop and use something like psd2cssonline.com to take my slices and turn it into a wordpress layout...My problem consists of how to name my layers, and once that is accomplished, how do I achieve all of my roll overs and nice roll in effects? Currently I am playing around with themes found at themeforrest, but it would be much more gratifying to learn to do this myself. I hope that makes sense. If anyone could point me towards some resources/tutorials/books/etc, that would be MUCH appreciated =)

Member #
    It appears you have no Web Design experience - correct?

If so you'll first want to pick up some books on HTML and CSS, this will get you through the basics of creating the overall design. In terms of WordPress, it is really simple, you can pretty much cut and paste everything from the WordPress Codex at WordPress.org.

However, I find the easiest way to learn is to start with an already made theme and then customize it to suit your needs. It is the best way to get your hands dirty.

But if you want to learn just search for some books about web design on Amazon. Get a book on CSS and one on HTML to get started. I don't suggest any WordPress books because you can find it all free at their site.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by minus View Post
    If anyone could point me towards some resources/tutorials/books/etc, that would be MUCH appreciated =)
    Finding decent books that cover the whole subject matter you need can be a big problem. I myself favour the First Class series from O'Reilly. I like the format and they explain the details of why and how you should use the technology. That said, my view is purely subjective as you would expect. So, a couple you may be interested in:

Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML
    Head First WordPress

Well worth considering.

Member #
    Personally the books I would suggest are:

Css - The Missing Manual
    Head First HTML
    Smashing WordPress - Beyond the blog

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by WPExplorer View Post
    Personally the books I would suggest are:

Css - The Missing Manual
    Head First HTML
    Smashing WordPress - Beyond the blog
    Thanks for the input guys, a Friend of mine just lent me CSS-The missing manual =)

Member #
    Lynda.com has a great series of video tutorials that can quickly get you up to speed. You might also consider that.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by STHLMWebDesign View Post
    Lynda.com has a great series of video tutorials that can quickly get you up to speed. You might also consider that.
    I am halfway through the most recent Lynda wordpress tut :
    WordPress 3.0: Creating and Editing Custom Themes

My biggest problem right now is the lack of knowledge in html. From what it seems, creating a theme is quite easy once you already have a solid static html page.

Member #
    If your biggest problem is a lack of knowledge of HTML then you are in luck because HTML is really really simple.

Maybe you could give a look to W3C schools, they have a great free run down of web languages. I think if you put your mind to it you can pick up HTML in a week or two.

Remove Ads