Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    hi,

how easy is it to do this?? i use 1and1 hosting provider for testing purposes, my client also uses it to host his separate webspace.

im developing his wp blog and thought it will be a lot easier rather than go from blank install all over again once im actually doing his real site, to just 'move' the development blog..

how difficult/easy/doable is this and how?

thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Backup data from 1st host, and restore it to 2nd host. Easy!

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Sorry its not as easy as that!

The first thing you should do is FTP into the existing site and back up the [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]wp-content[/COLOR] folder (theme, plugins, uploads).

Next log into the WP admin panel, and select[COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)] Tools[/COLOR], [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Export. [COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]This will export your pages and posts.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]Now on your new server, create a new database and install WP on it. Upload the files you downloaded in step 1 to the[COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)] wp-content[/COLOR] folder.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]Log into the WP admin panel for the new server, and this time select [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Tools[/COLOR], [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Import[/COLOR]. Import your export file from step 2.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]This should be it for most builds! You might be prompted to install an inport/export plugin from wordPress, but this is normal. You also might need to reconfigure your plugins now.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

If you are incredibly unlucky, or your host is horrible, you might need to to the[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]advanced[/COLOR] method.

Good luck!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonic, post: 202645
    Sorry its not as easy as that!...
    Yes. I take your point. It is only easy for me because I've done it so many times. Now I recall that it was not so easy my first time!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks guys that doesnt sound so bad although would it be safer or easier to develop the wp site within a subdirectory of the client domain (www.domain.com/wptest or something) then go into his hosting control panel and change things so the domain points to that subdirectory when I'm all done?

To be honest wouldn't know exactly how to do this either!

Also what's the chances of having to do the advanced method/how would I avoid?

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Chances are very small. Nothing you can really do to avoid it. WordPress and every CMS tries its best to be user friendly by appearance, but don't forget the beast of programming that goes into these things. Your hosting provider can also make a difference (heads up, horrible experiences with 1&1).

Each site, theme, CMS, and database are unique. With that said, i'd say you have about a 98% chance of being able to do the easy way

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    "Your hosting provider can also make a difference (heads up, horrible experiences with 1&1)."

oh dear. this is where my client hosts his website.

Can i ask how i would do the thing i suggested? install wordpress into a subdirectory, then point the domain at the subdirectory..

i think in 1and1 you do this by logging into the admin panel, going to Domains, clicking the domain, changing the "destination" which is by default "Home directory/."

Is this right?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonic, post: 202645

If you are incredibly unlucky, or your host is horrible, you might need to to the[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]advanced[/COLOR] method.

Good luck!
    Even the advanced way is that bad. Especially considering you should have a backup of your database anyhow...

Member #
    Liked
    80 times
    I am with harmonic on this,

Follow the pointers he gave and you have a very good chance of getting it done.

I have no experience with 1&1, but in cPanel type hosts, there is a "Redirects" page where you can do what you are talking about.
    Peace, Mike
    WebHost1-For all your Hosting needs.
    Leenkz.Com-The web starts here! (Blatant use of tables)
    I realllllly need to feel useful, please "like" my signatures!!!! (Button is on the bottom right!)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't have any experience with moving a WP blog, but I also have experience with 1&1 from the registrar point of view. One of my clients got suckered in by their $4.99 introductory domain offer, registered several domains (before telling me about it, of course) and then was "locked in" by their bizarre renewal process at $14.99 per year to the point where he had to cancel his credit card on file with them because they kept trying to bill him even though he didn't want to renew them. Yes, it was a stupid move on his part to register several domains, but their "renewal" process is just brutal.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads