Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i have a wp site installed in a subfolder of a root directory, /new/
    the site is soon to go live.

i was thinking about going into the control panel and simply having the domain point to /new/

but ive been reading a wordpress book and i wondered if anyone could clarify if this would work instead:

1) go to general settings, change "wordpress address" url field to http://www.thedomain.com/new/ and the "blog address" field to http://www.thedomain.com
    2) move my index.php and .htaccess files from /new/ to the root directory
    3) open index.php in it's new location, and change:
    require('./wp-blog-header.php');

to

require('./new/wp-blog-header.php');

4) update permalinks (???*)

im a bit worried to do this without clarification as i realise i may screw something up!

*the book says about updating permalinks, and i wondered what youd actually need to update there..?

thanks so much!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    to clarify:

my wp install is here: www.domain.com/new - this is where people currently go to see the wp site.

i want people to visit www.domain.com and see the wp site, and for all the urls of my pages and posts to not be: www.domain.com/new/page/ but www.domain.com/page

i am not trying to move my wp site from www.domain.com to www.newdomain.com --

my question relates to this tutorial on the wordpress site: http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_Wo..._Own_Directory -- i read this in diff words in a wordpress ebook. my one difference is, i have already installed the wp files in the subdirectory, whilst these instructions seem for a fresh install. i realise any links in posts/pages wouldnt work eg those to images. but would this work in context to my question?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    ..or shall i just go the original method; log into domain/hosting cp, point domain to /new/ directory, update any wp links that use /new/?

Would i need to update anything else??

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Just to be clear - a[COLOR=rgb(51, 51, 51)]re you replacing your existing site with your WordPress site?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(51, 51, 51)]There is a video here that covers that topic quite well.[/COLOR]
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 205253
    Just to be clear - a[COLOR=rgb(51, 51, 51)]re you replacing your existing site with your WordPress site?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgb(51, 51, 51)]There is a video here that covers that topic quite well.[/COLOR]
    Yes - but the thing is i really have no need to move the actual files, they are fine sat in that subdirectory where they are. The only result i actually need from this is that when visitors go to www.domain.com they should hit the wp site, which is actually contained within /new/

that video looks like a difficult way to go about making a domain point someplace else - understandable if you actually needed to move those files for some reason but i dont. the link above in my original quetion, the Wordpress documentation link - this details a potential other way, which i was trying to figure out whether this would work in a bit of a backwards way.

I was not even going to consider the way in that video - it was either a) the Wordpress documentation way (link in original post) or b) pointing the domain at the subdirectory /new/ , and i posted here to check if either of a) or b) would work and if so is there anything further to consider?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    the wp documentation way says you just need to have index.php and htaccess to the root, putting everything else in a subdirectory within the root, and change the line of php detailed above within index.php, and a couple of settings within the wordpress admin area. then, when people visit www.thedomain.com, they will see the wp site, which is really held in www.thedomain.com/asubdirectory (except index.php and .htaccess)

These instructions though in this wp documentation link, seem like they are for a fresh install - in which case you wouldnt be moving anything, youd just be placing things in places. My wp site is *already* uploaded to the subdirectory, so i am trying to figure if moving .htaccess and index.php now, then changing that line of php and settings within the wordpress admin area, would result in my desired outcome (people go to www.domain.com and see the wp site, not www.domain.com/new)

The other potential way would be to go into my clients domain/hosting control panel, point domain at /new/ directory. If i did that, my other question was would i need to change anything else/any lines of php within wp core files/anything within wordpress admin panel.

This is the wp documentation link, posted previously: http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_Wo..._Own_Directory

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Yes, I read what you posted previously. I am afraid I cannot give you an answer about changing the PHP - the only time I ever tried that it broke things so badly that I had to do a complete re-install.
    In any case, to be on the safe side, I would make a backup of my database before doing anything at all.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    oh my lord :S ok. i think i'll perhaps go with the control panel > point domain to /new/ option
    does anyone know if pointing the domain this way will affect anything else/whether i should change anything else?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    ive posted a new thread specifically for that last question:
    http://www.webdesignforums.net/threa...-happen.33090/

Remove Ads