Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi all

I currently have an old version of a site within the root folder. The domain name points to this root folder. I have installed and set up a wordpress site in a subdirectory of this root folder called /new/

It's time for the site to go live. Don't want to move all the wordpress files, so i am thinking of just going into the domain/hosting cpanel and pointing the domain at /new/ rather than the root directory, so that when people visit www.mydomain.com they will see my wordpress site, rather than having to go to www.mydomain.com/new

Is this ok to do?? I think i may have to update some settings within my wordpress admin panel, for example perhaps updating "Wordpress Address" and "Blog Address" in Settings. Could anyone confirm what I'd need to take into account/change if i did point my domain at my /new/ directory, or is this just a no-go?? Sorry i am unfamiliar with wordpress

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I would recommend going through you hosting panel instead of modifying your files (as in your last thread). You don't have to do anything else. The re-direct will find the index.php and the links are relative from there.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Agreed. Or, if you have linux hosting, (which you do if you use cPanel), you can create an .htaccess file amd add a 301 redirect by typing on a new line:
    redirect 301 http://yourdomain.com http://yourdomain.com/new/

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'd go the first route. Point your site to the new folder, and make sure any references to /new/ within the WP install themselves are corrected. This will be the easiest route.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I remembered one other option, if you don't want to go through the hosting panel. Create an index.php file and save it to the mydomain.com root folder. Add the following code:
    <?php
    header("Location: new/index.php");
    exit;
    ?>
    This will redirect the site to the new folder also.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You won't want to do that if you can avoid it, though, for search engine reasons. Mapping a site to the root (domain.com) generally will outperform a site mapped to say new/index.php. This isn't always the case, but it's something to be considered.

That, and why put the server through the strain of a redirect when you don't have to?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads