Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi everyone

Ive recently introduced myself to wordpress theme development, using wp 3.0

I'd like to move on to learning how to manipulate things so that wordpress is more a cms and less of a blog.

I find all sorts of articles talking about specific tips like custom taxonomies or making a custom page layout for a client to choose, but nothing that encapsulates "how to make wordpress into a cms" from the ground up sort of thing.

so i wanted to ask - does anyone either know of a good tutorial/reference, OR is the reason i can't find anything for wp specifically 3.0 because not much has changed in the methodology for making wp into a cms than for say, 2.8/2.9??

i found this tutorial.. http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/wo...options-panel/ this is pretty much the only one i could find that refers to anything anywhere near version 3.0 (it says its for 2.9..) but the title is confusing and im not sure if this is even talking about making wordpress into a cms..

can anyone help?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Hi bamme,
    I'm not sure how much use my input is going to be as I only use wordpress as a blogging tool - which it is very good at. If you want to use it as a CMS then you'll need to concentrate more on the page element of Wordpress - this is where your custom taxonomies etc will come in where you customise the user experience based on viewing your wordpress pages rather than your posts. Hopefully someone will chime in on this.

If you are looking for a CMS that is very flexible in many ways then you could do worse than evaluate Concrete5 - I've used it on a number of projects and find that for building websites it is a very good tool. For user experience and passing editing duties on to clients it beats most other CMS hands down.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I did look at concrete5 actually! I am no developer though, I just design and do SEO/social stuff and I've also noticed that a lot of clients want things that are very very easy to 'plug in' to wordpress; like social integration, blogging of course, commenting, etc. Whilst concrete5 in my small experience of it, is a great cms, i feel wordpress is more well documented, and has more scope for 'plugging in' all sorts of different out of the box functionalities thru..well.. plugins

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    If you do not mind paying for a tutorial, try lynda.com. It's a subscription based site. It's around $36/month if you want the training files with it. You can cancel anytime, so you can just get through Wordpress within a month.... Otherwise there are a lot of tutorials on Youtube. That's how I started...

Remove Ads