Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi

I'm working on a wordpress theme that has multiple style sheets and I am hacking the default at present, however I really need to be hacking one of the other styles that it comes with so I'm guessing I need to link the html to the relevant style sheet but don't know how.

Here's some code in the html however the style sheet I need to link to is not listed. I need to link to style-smooth-blue.css ( please read the bottom to see what I added which is not working )

<?php global $ebusiness_color_scheme, $ebusiness_scroller_number, $ebusiness_home_page_1, $ebusiness_home_page_2, $ebusiness_home_page_3, $ebusiness_home_page_4, $ebusiness_homepage_posts, $ebusiness_rss, $ebusiness_slider_1_button, $ebusiness_slider_1_title, $ebusiness_slider_1_image, $ebusiness_slider_1_video, $ebusiness_slider_1_content, $ebusiness_slider_1_readmore_url, $ebusiness_slider_2_button, $ebusiness_slider_2_title, $ebusiness_slider_2_image, $ebusiness_slider_2_video, $ebusiness_slider_2_content, $ebusiness_slider_2_readmore_url, $ebusiness_thumbnail_size, $ebusiness_thumbnail_quality, $ebusiness_thumbnail_size_index, $ebusiness_content_limit, $ebusiness_sort_cat, $ebusiness_order_cat, $include_cats, $strdepth2, $ebusiness_banner_468_url, $ebusiness_banner_468, $ebusiness_grab_image, $ebusiness_blogstyle_homeposts, $ebusiness_catnum_posts; ?>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head profile="http://gmpg.org/xfn/11">
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="<?php bloginfo('html_type'); ?>; charset=<?php bloginfo('charset'); ?>" />
    <title><?php elegant_titles(); ?></title>
    <?php elegant_description(); ?>
    <?php elegant_keywords(); ?>
    <?php elegant_canonical(); ?>

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS 2.0" href="<?php bloginfo('rss2_url'); ?>" />
    <link rel="alternate" type="text/xml" title="RSS .92" href="<?php bloginfo('rss_url'); ?>" />
    <link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Atom 0.3" href="<?php bloginfo('atom_url'); ?>" />
    <link rel="pingback" href="<?php bloginfo('pingback_url'); ?>" />

<!--[if IE 7]>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/iestyle-<?php echo $ebusiness_color_scheme; ?>.css" />
    <![endif]-->
    <!--[if IE 8]>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/ie8style-<?php echo $ebusiness_color_scheme; ?>.css" />
    <![endif]-->
    <!--[if lt IE 7]>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/ie6style-<?php echo $ebusiness_color_scheme; ?>.css" />
    <script defer type="text/javascript" src="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/js/pngfix.js"></script>
    <![endif]-->

<?php if ( is_singular() ) wp_enqueue_script( 'comment-reply' ); ?>
    <?php wp_head(); ?>

</head>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I added to the header.php this but nothing happened:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/style-smooth-blue.css

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="RSS 2.0" href="<?php bloginfo('rss2_url'); ?>" />
    <link rel="alternate" type="text/xml" title="RSS .92" href="<?php bloginfo('rss_url'); ?>" />
    <link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="Atom 0.3" href="<?php bloginfo('atom_url'); ?>" />
    <link rel="pingback" href="<?php bloginfo('pingback_url'); ?>" />

I also removed all of the above and just included this only:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/style-smooth-blue.css

and also tried this:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>/style-smooth-blue<?php echo $ebusiness_color_scheme; ?>.css

but still nothing changed. I may also add that there are multiple html pages such as home.php, index.php, mainindex.php defultindex.php but I have looked and can't seem to find the usual html style sheet references ( unless there is some kind of php reference to them that I don't know )

So all that being said how do I get the smooth-blue style linked so I can hack that style.
    Many thanks if you can help

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Hi - I have found that with WP if there many different options available for the theme, there will be several CSS files outside the main folder.

For example in a theme with several color options, there may be a folder called colors, and in that there may be folders called blue, green, red etc. Each of these colors will probably have their own CSS file.

As you change the color in the admin dashboard, the PHP should automatically find and load the CSS file for that color. This sometimes goes wrong, and then you have to edit the PHP to fix it.

If you can tell me which theme it is, or at least post a link to your site, perhaps I can help you more.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    very much appreciate your reply.

It is currently on my local host but I have looked in the files, they are as follows:

http://localhost/wordpress/wp-conten...es/eBusiness/( then all the folders plus all .css veriations including the one I want to edit are there alongside with others like images and home.php etc )

The theme I am editing is eBusiness theme and I need to use and edit the smooth-blue.css. I have attatched a pic of both the default and the smooth-blue. They were purchased from elegantthemes.

Member #
    sorry, here are the attatchments
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I know that theme - I have a big day tomorrow at the stables but I'll see what I can figure out tonight and get back to you as soon as I can.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hantaah, post: 211603
    "I'm guessing I need to link the html to the relevant style sheet but don't know how."
    OK - for that theme there are specific color options - have you clicked on e-Business Theme Options in your dashboard?
    When you do, under the "General" tab, you will see the option to change the colour scheme. This means that the PHP to call that CSS is already in place.

Quote Originally Posted by hantaah, post: 211603
    "I really need to be hacking one of the other styles that it comes with "
    If you want to change the CSS for the smooth-blue, you need to open your editor and go to the folder with that specific CSS file, which in this case is style-Smooth-Blue.css

When you're done editing, make sure you upload it to (FTP) the same place in your theme when you are done editing.
    hantaah likes this.

Member #
    well it was as easy as that eh? There's me trying to change code and all sorts and it is in the options like you said. I though it may be something to do with php so what you have explained makes sense now.

Basically I went to options for the theme and chose the colour scheme just as you said and it's done.
    Many thanks for all your help.

Just to add I posted this on several web designer forums and you were the only one to answer ( and solve )

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Well, I say modestly, that's because I am a WordPress ninja...

Seriously, some of the newer themes have added features that you have to search for in the dashboard, and they can be very different. Some let you change everything in the specific theme options and then save, some require you to save after every change, some have different colors, some have several templates for your pages - it's fun when you get one that does all you want, and frustrating as heck when you don't...

The eBusiness Theme has lots of extras besides the color changes - I love the extra templates for page layout - besides the default template there are templates for blog, contact, full width, gallery, login. portfolio, search, and sitemap.

If you need any more help, I'm here most days (well, nights, really).

Member #
    I see, do you think this is going to cause me problems when customising? You see I've changed it in foreworks for my own preference. Example - I've added an additional 2 tabs and was hoping to havethem in the slider but having added the tabs they do not react like the others when hoving over them and looking in the slider option it is maxed at 3 sliders. Will I be able to sort this out or is it not customisable?

ps how can I become a ninja like you? where did you learn?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hantaah, post: 211709
    I see, do you think this is going to cause me problems when customising? You see I've changed it in foreworks for my own preference. Example - I've added an additional 2 tabs and was hoping to havethem in the slider but having added the tabs they do not react like the others when hoving over them and looking in the slider option it is maxed at 3 sliders. Will I be able to sort this out or is it not customisable?
    As a general answer, I think for someone starting out, the most important thing is to study the construction of the site, the structure of all the pages. Check out all the sub-folders in the theme, see which CSS goes with which template or color, see how the PHP in each page template calls different elements into specific areas. on the page, etc. make a copy of the theme before you start playing with it - I have a folder on my hard drive called, funnily enough, "original themes". I have another folder called "edited themes" and yet another called "finished themes" (this is by far the smallest of the three). If I really mess up a theme, I can delete it from "edited themes and make another copy of it from the "original themes" folder. That way I always have a good copy, as well as the one I am messing with editing.

As for your tabs, I really don't have an answer to that, and I may not be able to come up with one real soon, due to press of work, not enough hours in the day, and the fact that I will be gone all weekend. But if and when I do, I'll post it. And can you explain what you mean by foreworks?

If your site is live, can you post a link - it really helps me to see the actual code. Even though the actual PHP is invisible, I can infer a lot from what HTML it calls to the page.

Quote Originally Posted by hantaah, post: 211709
    ps how can I become a ninja like you? where did you learn?
    Well, the ninja part was actually sort of a joke...based on this video made by another of our mods.

But seriously, I have done a lot of WP sites and I am always learning something new.
    I am a member at Elegant Themes, and Templatesold and constantly download and play with different free themes as well. I have a development folder on my host where I have 4 subfolders, each with its own WP install. (I have uploaded and played with well over 60 themes so far.) I have also purchased a couple of custom admin scripts, and now I'm starting to make my own themes.

This weekend I am attending Word Camp Montreal 2011, and I plan on asking as many questions as I can, and taking all sorts of notes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads