Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    What exactly is Wordpress and how does it work? I thought it was more like a Twitter on steroids, but I'm not too clear.
    I'm an art director crossing paths between print and web design.
    http://www.ballardstudio.com

Member #
    Liked
    713 times
    WordPress is considered a CMS (content management system).
    It started out as a pre-build PHP script that allows people to easily
    create blogs, and news/article type of websites.

The key is that it's a complete system, free to use, and uses templates that
    allow people to customize it. Now, people are using WP for more than
    just blogs. With so many plug-ins, it is becoming a system for online
    ecommerce, membership management, etc. Not just for blogs anymore.

You subscribe to a webhost that hosts your web site, install WP ... all its files,
    and the MySQL database, upload templates, and use the administration panel
    to post articles, add categories, etc. Too many options to mention here.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim, post: 215298
    WordPress is considered a CMS (content management system).
    It started out as a pre-build PHP script that allows people to easily
    create blogs, and news/article type of websites.

The key is that it's a complete system, free to use, and uses templates that
    allow people to customize it. Now, people are using WP for more than
    just blogs. With so many plug-ins, it is becoming a system for online
    ecommerce, membership management, etc. Not just for blogs anymore.

You subscribe to a webhost that hosts your web site, install WP ... all its files,
    and the MySQL database, upload templates, and use the administration panel
    to post articles, add categories, etc. Too many options to mention here.

Thanks. I thought what WP was simply for blogging. Once I registered for the site, I was totally confused. Still yet, I need to do a lot more research to figure out what to do with it.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BallardStudio, post: 215336
    Thanks. I thought what WP was simply for blogging. Once I registered for the site, I was totally confused. Still yet, I need to do a lot more research to figure out what to do with it.
    If you register with WordPress.com, you will have a domain name that reads "yourname.wordpress.com", or if you want your own domain name, there is a charge for that. You are limited to their servers, and the 100 or so templates they provide.

If you have your own domain name and hosting, you may find that your hosting company offers WordPress installation for free in their Control Panel. Or, you can download the installation code from WordPress.org, and install it on your hosting company's server. You can use one of literally thousands of free or paid themes available all over the Internet, and as you become more proficient, you can start to make your own modifications.

If you'd like to see a small bit of what can be done with WP, visit the URL at the bottom of my signature. Check the portfolio and you will see that 9 out of the 12 sites there are created with WP.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks Alpha!

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    There are other CMS's out there that are more robust than WP. What sets WordPress apart is the simplicity it offers and it has less of a learning curve than Drupal or Joomla. If you do decided to use it be mindful of the fact that it is extremely popular and hackers will try to get at you. Security is your responsibility, so look up .htaccess and php tutorials. Most importantly, do all that you can not to install a great deal of plugins. Some plugins are great and others, well its free - so don't be surprise.

BTW:
    Since you are just starting in the field, learn a scripting language first. That will be far more valuable to you in the long run as oppose to hitching your wagon to WP. Don't get me wrong, I like WP and even defended it in the past, but understanding the backend and how it really works is the way to go. For example; if you were to get a really good grasp on php and still wanted to use WP, you will be far more effective with it.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DanExcell, post: 215411
    There are other CMS's out there that are more robust than WP. What sets WordPress apart is the simplicity it offers and it has less of a learning curve than Drupal or Joomla. If you do decided to use it be mindful of the fact that it is extremely popular and hackers will try to get at you. Security is your responsibility, so look up .htaccess and php tutorials. Most importantly, do all that you can not to install a great deal of plugins. Some plugins are great and others, well its free - so don't be surprise.

BTW:
    Since you are just starting in the field, learn a scripting language first. That will be far more valuable to you in the long run as oppose to hitching your wagon to WP. Don't get me wrong, I like WP and even defended it in the past, but understanding the backend and how it really works is the way to go. For example; if you were to get a really good grasp on php and still wanted to use WP, you will be far more effective with it.
    The purpose for me using WP would be similar to using Twitter. Just to post a blog about random stuff and the progress of my creative processes. I'm not looking to do much more than that, even though WP is a very powerful tool. Maybe I'm using it for the wrong reasons.

I also found that my server supports PHP, but it's not specific as to supporting WP. I have to poke around to find out.

Member #
    Liked
    713 times
    WP would be perfect for you.

Most webhosts now have a thing called "fantastico", or "quick install", or some other
    name. Ask your webhost if they have a feature where you can install WP on your website
    by clicking a few buttons.

If you can get WP installed, your next step is to find a WP template that you like.
    Many available online, some are free, others have a download fee.

Google it (wordpress templates) if you're not sure what I'm talking about.

I have a slight hunch this install and setup might be more PHP than you have experience?
    Might not hurt to find someone that can help you with this.

BallardStudio likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DanExcell, post: 215411

BTW:
    That's the most level-headed non-fanboyish way of explaining what WordPress is and what it isn't that I've ever seen. And the part about learning a scripting language first...dude, do you know how many times I've tried to say that to people?

The only thing about learning a scripting language is that, if you learn it well enough, you'll be able to build your own stuff and render your own personal use for WordPress obsolete. Then you'll be just like me and that means you'll be AWESOME.
    BallardStudio likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    76 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BallardStudio, post: 215452
    The purpose for me using WP would be similar to using Twitter. Just to post a blog about random stuff and the progress of my creative processes. I'm not looking to do much more than that, even though WP is a very powerful tool. Maybe I'm using it for the wrong reasons.

I also found that my server supports PHP, but it's not specific as to supporting WP. I have to poke around to find out.
    You're an Art guy which means that most likely you are a right brain thinker. If so, once you understand WP and how the creative possibilities are endless, you might forego pursuing a scripting language. You can down play it right now, but believe me when I tell - the creative possibilities are endless. Just remember, Scripting first...
    I have gotten into the habit of not judging other designers/developers work, but this is my Microsoft Meandering time so I'm MEANDERING...

Oh, almost forgot: spammers are gender-less parasites...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads