Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi!

Can anyone help please?

I'm looking at creating a daily deal site & the software I've been looking at is on [EDIT: Link removed by TheGAME1264. Please read the forum rules. Thanks.] which is designed to work with Wordpress. Does anyone have any experience of this & if it's any good for this type of business??

Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Even though I suspect this question isn't legitimate, I'm going to answer it as if it is.

Do we really need any more daily deal/Groupon/WagJag/GroupBuy/ShareADealWithTheWorld/whatever type of sites? Seriously, why is this of all things the flavor of the month? Most of the deals are crappy and unredeemable, the vendors participating are giving away loss leaders to customers that will probably never return in volumes great enough to justify them, and everyone and their brother seems to think they can create a daily deal site now.

ENOUGH ALREADY.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi,
    It's a slightly different type of daily deal site but thanks for your reply & input! First time I've bothered posting on one of these forums - wonder why?
    Thanks anyway

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    There was a point to what I was saying, though. Even "slightly different" isn't "all that different." The problem is that not only is your proposed idea (assuming it's legit) unoriginal, but the idea of a knockoff/clone/"similar site" has been done to death in general. There are directory scripts, Facebook clones, Youtube clones, social networking site scripts, blog scripts, CMS scripts, and all sorts of other stuff floating around. That leads to a lack of innovation and a proliferation of low-quality websites as a result.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I guess until you know the business model then you're not really qualified to comment accurately.
    Yes there are a million sites out there that are similar to Groupon, Facebook, Ancestors on line, but isn't that where original ideas come from by developing & changing.
    I'm assuming you do some web designing so surely you'd be out of business if you were relying on people with only 100% original ideas. I'm guessing there are a few bowling alleys out there??

I'm moving away from my point......I have a slightly different business model & asked a simple enough question in the hope that someone who had a knowledge of Wordpress &/or the company I asked about, may be kind enough offer some assistance. I didn't ask for an opinion, just hoped for an answer to the question I posted. Obviously not so simple. Instead I get a random guy who has issues with group buying sites, having a little rant.

I notice the link was removed - I thought a link was OK if it was connected to the question.

Anyway not to worry, I've been given some good advice on another forum so we're all sorted.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You're stretching and stretching badly. Not only are you stretching and stretching badly, you're following a common pattern.

So you have a business model that's "slightly different". Somehow, as a non-web-designer, you somehow know about Wordpress. Not only do you know about Wordpress, but you somehow find a daily deal plugin for Wordpress all on your own. Then, you somehow find a web design forum to ask about, and with your first post ever on a forum decide to share this plugin with us (which, had I not removed the link, I'm sure no one else would have heard of anyway). And when you're called out, you come up with an "I never bother posting on forums", followed by "given good advice on another forum", meaning my advice was bad because it was negative.

All of this means one of two things:

1) You intended to spam WDF with a link and are trying anything possible to deny it when you got caught, including trying to play the aggressor and place the blame on the person that called you out (forum spammer tactic #17).

2) You're incredibly naive, because you think that slapping a widget on one of the most insecure "pieces of software" out there and therefore subjecting users with at least some personal data stored (even if it's just an email address) to the very real possibility that they could become indirect hack victims, which means that you either have to waste a lot of time constantly upgrading Wordpress (and all associated plugins) or you get nailed in all likelihood.

I've had three sites I've worked on in 12 years that were hacked...two of them were the only two Wordpress sites i ever have, and ever will, work on (the third was caused by Hosting Controller). One of which was hacked by a Muslim extremist group attempting to show what great hackers they were while selling copies of the Qu'ran.

So...here's the deal based on all of that.

If it's option 1), you'll probably either go away or continue to argue. You might even try to insert an option 3) or tell me how far off base I am or come up with some other rationalization for what you're doing. (in which case option 1 is the answer). If it option 1) and you attempt to argue, I'm going to ban you just because you were attempting to spam and cover it up by lying.

If it's option 2), you'll realize and acknowledge that I'm right and ask what other alternatives are out there (or possibly present one, or get more into detail about your business idea).

Choice is yours.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Lovely, thanks for the advice & info! What I hoped for from the very first post

To help ease your suspicion of me as Secret Agent Spammer:
    So the reason I know of Wordpress is because I have a laptop & internet. I found the plug-in first by searching on Google; the plugin is designed to be used with Wordpress. I wasn't convinced about it so asked my father who was a web designer & software developer before he retired. He has no knowledge of Wordpress & doesn't know it's capabilities & limitations without getting into it - says he used other languages to programme. He suggested I try a forum! So....Again I used Google to look for forums, you should try it - it's great! You're right, I am naive to this, which is why I posted the question in the first place. The reason I posted (& the first time I had) is because I didn't find the answer by searching the forums but saw on WDF at there was a big Wordpress section - makes sense you'd think.

After all this, I don't think I'll be using Wordpress or the site I linked to - just a bit too 'Mickey Mouse'. Just checking out companies for a bespoke site - don't worry I won't add a link. Lol
    I appreciate your advice given in your last post - point 2 - it makes perfect sense - thank you v much.
    Is there anything else you would suggest to use other than a bespoke site?

I still think it's funny that you think I'm Secret Agent Spammer - I wouldn't deny it if I was, but alas I'm not. Just Jen!!

TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Well, at least you proved otherwise. Quite frankly, I'm glad it was #2. Option #1 is way too common.

But understand my suspicion if you can. Usually people who ask a question the way you did (not that you meant to, and at least you made that clear now) are trying to drop a link to promote whatever piece of garbage can't promote itself. It's not your fault...this actually lies on forum spammers. 9 times out of 10, they post things like "I'm trying to solve (problem X). (Site Y, which no one has ever heard of) has a possible solution. Have you tried it? Does it work?"

In other words, they pose as a customer to try to spam forums. It's stupid, it's asinine, but it's the reality. There are even automated forum spam tools that go around dropping messages just like that, which means that pretty much every forum mod has to be on his/her guard at all times. It sucks that we have to be suspicious by default, but we have to be suspicious by default. You can thank "Internet Marketers" (as in those who capitalize their job titles) for that.

But I honestly wouldn't suggest anything other than a bespoke site (assuming bespoke means "custom"). Anything that requires customization, especially significant customization, should be on a customized platform. You can implement security measures much more easily (especially with a framework such as ASP.net, which has some wicked free encryption code samples that are easy enough to customize to create obscure encryption), you won't have to constantly update your scripts and pages with the "latest secure release", and you'll be more easily able to customize your site down the road.

All of this, of course, depends on who you choose as your developer. If your developer is decent, all of this stuff will be second nature (and the developer may have reusable code already built for things like encryption). If not...well...your site's going to suck. The problem here is that choosing a developer or company is basically hiring an employee if you're a manager or a business owner...the only way you can really find out if someone's good or not is to put a few dollars onto the table and hire that person.

Remove Ads