Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi guys,

I am *very* new to WordPress (I've never really done much in it). I have a client who has a website that uses WP integration. They want a mobile version of the site using the WPTouch Pro plugin:
    http://www.bravenewcode.com/store/plugins/wptouch-pro/

I won't have access to FTP files to their site, since it is a bank site so they are very secure with their access info. I'll have to send them the files and have them upload them. However, I will have access to the WP CMS.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have a test version of the site on my own server, that uses the WPTouch plugin, and then later transfer it to their server? One thing I am not sure about is that when you purchase WPTouch Pro, it is for 1 website. So can I use that for my test site, and then later transfer it to their site? Or would I have to purchase 2 WPTouch Pro licenses?

When the original website was made, the developer developed the entire site on their own test server, and then when everything was completely done, they sent the client the files to upload. Can I do it the same way? Or is it different for plugins? (esp. paid plugins)

Thanks!!
    Heather
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    From my limited amount of knowledge about WP, all that I have installed are free, but they install directly inside the admin console.

I would suspect they could download ( of if you have access to their control panel, you could download and install ) as for transferring liscense, that's probably gonna be a developer decision... Have you visited the developers site to see the they have a FAQ about things like this ?

From a developer standpoint, i would think that's bank would be more concerned with the code that " you are installing on their server", I don't run anything near as critical, but no 3rd party would even get access to my servers, much less be able to install even a plugin...

Oh wait... A banking site using WP ??? Please tell me it's not MY BANK ...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the helpful reply! I sent an email to the developer, and they said I can reset the license in the admin console & then use it on the live site. So that's good news

I tried testing out installing a plugin (I created a new WP blog) to see what it would be like, but I can't seem to find any plugin option in the left nav or anywhere. Do I have to have the paid version of WP just to install a plugin or something?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Noooooooo ... But make sure you are running the most current updates in WP.

Did you install on a shared server ? Or your own standalone server ?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Um, I did neither... I just created a WP account and started a new blog. Is that different?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    For many of the new plugins they require a certain version of WP, verify that the bank or whomever I'd actually running that version otherwise none of this is relevant at all.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Not sure if you're allowed to install plugins from the wild on a WP INSTALL on their servers, never used their servers. I always installed on my own and on my reseller account servers.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm really confused about this whole WP-server vs. other server thing Is there anywhere that explains this to me? Can you basically just download the WP CMS and install it on your own server, and it is completely disconnected from wordpress.com?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Yup, done that several time... Runs ok on a windows based server, runs better on an apache server... Look at WAMP if you're going to run it on windows...

Even most decent cheap hosting providers have an installer in their options... Basically fill in a few questions, select a MySQL DB password, click install...

WP was once famous for their 5 minute install... Don't know I'd they still proclaim that

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ohh okay, thanks for the explanation!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads