Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi guys,

Disclaimer: I am a total n00b to WP

I have a project where the current site has only the *blog* part integrated with WP (the whole WP installation is in a subdirectory /whats-new/ which is the blog). My project is to make the whole site integrated with WP instead of just the blog.

While I am doing the development, they want a copy of the site in a new directory (like /new/) - then when everything's done, I'll copy it all into the root directory. Since the blog already has the UI integrated with it, and the blog set up, etc., I thought it would be easiest to just copy the /whats-new/ directory into a directory called /new/ and go from there.

I've been reading up on WP, and on installing multiple blogs on one domain, etc, and I know I'll need to set different database table names, and maybe change the path names etc in the config files. But I just thought I'd mention it on here in case anyone has any other advice, gotchas, places where you can forsee me messing everything up and getting myself in lots of trouble :-P

Thank you!
    Heather
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    It's common practice to use sub directory or subdomain as a staging/development site.

You are going to need two separate databases - prefixes don't need to be different unless you are sharing a database. Which, you are not and shouldn't.

Once you're done with the /dev/ site:
    -Disable permalinks.
    -Copy you wp-content folder to the live site.
    -Export your dev site database.
    -Search and replace "dev url" with "live Url".
    -Import database into live site.
    -Enable Permalinks.

While not not terribly complicated, it can certainly be duanting for individuals not familiar with PHP/MySQL driven sites.

Remove Ads