Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi guys,

In the website I'm moving over to WP, each page has a different stock photo as part of the UI. I would like a way for the user to upload a photo and specify that it is the stock photo for the page (then I can pull it into the template).

I know that you can upload images and have them attached to pages, BUT, on some pages there are images within the post as well, so I don't know if they would get mixed up. I need a way to tell which image is the special stock photo.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
    Heather
    choosy developers choose gif!
    website | paintings | blog

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    That's where the "users section comes in" they need to login as a user that you setup, you will need to give the users the ability to "add /edit pages", then when they login they would have the ability to modify existing pages ( including changing images ), or create new pages... Not sure if you can limit a users ability to just edit existing... From a stock install of WP... But probably...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Webzarus, thanks for the response. I do get how to allow them to edit pages, but the part I'm not sure about is how to let them specify a stock photo. The difference is that the stock photo isn't just a photo that's easily inserted into the content. The stock photo is a part of the UI, with all these other decorative elements around it, so if I were to have the stock photo itself in the editable content, then the user could easily mess up the rest of the UI. So, I have the all the UI-related stuff in the template file, and I only want them to edit text content through the GUI.

So, I don't want them to actually insert the image into the page, rather, I would like them to *associate* an image with a page, somehow tag it as "the stock photo for this page", so that I can pull it into the template.

I hope that made sense, I have a hard time explaining myself sometimes :-P

Do you know if it is possible?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Other than mentioned... No I don't thing WP has a collaboration model ... Then again... If the users have access to the "extra" code section ( now I'm gonna have to go look to see )... I guess it could be specificed using a CSS div tag...

Short of that... I don't think WP was actually meant as a collaboration type system.

In this instance I typically what is called a wireframe approval system... Not gonna work if you want the users to be able to change the photo on a regular basis.

I use wireframes for layout and design approvals... But that is durning the design process so I provide to the a basic layout of the site... Incorporate low res graphics, ect... They approve, I design... If they want more changes... I mock it up in the wireframe... They approve... I proceed...

Of course, this is all founded on a contract... And once they approve the final wireframe... And I start designing, if they come up with changes... That is covered in the contract... Major changes require me to mod the wireframe... And if cost are associated with those changes... They they and the wireframe have to be approved before any work proceeds.

You'd be amazed how often "scope creep" will kill a project. I try and work with clients and get as many approvals as possible before starting the design process... But every once in a while I'll get a client that wants major changes half way through the project...

When asked to approve the cost associated with the changes... And them understanding how it all works... They have to be the one to determine if their whimsy changes are worth the added cost.

Again, it all comes from contracts that are agreed upon by me and them so... Extra cost at $$$ hr development cost are not a suprise...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the reply. I may have found a solution, advanced custom fields. It's like having custom fields, but you can make a custom field as an image:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...custom-fields/

Remove Ads