Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I have been trying without success to upload a wordpress site I built. I built a small site with a very small child theme. It's not even finished yet. I'm just trying to get it uploaded to the hosting company's site. So here's the steps I've taken so far:

Exported db to file using PhpMyAdmin
    Zipped WP and files down
    Uploaded to host
    Created a database making note of name, username, pwd, and host location
    Imported db
    modified wp-config.php

I've been getting a white screen. After being on the phone with the hosting support I'm still in the dark. They said that the db and files were fine and that maybe it's a plugin. So I removed WP on the host and did a fresh install of WP from their side through their Application Vault. Then created a database and went through the same steps to upload. Now before I created a db I made sure the site was visible which it was--the basic twentyeleven theme. But as soon as I did the DB work again, I got a white screen. The only thing I can think of is that maybe it has something to do with the TYPE of database I'm setting up.

Here are the options I have:
    MS SQL (MSSQL 2005 database)
    PostgreSQL (Postgre SQL database)
    MySQL (MySQL4 database)
    MySQL (MySQL5 database)

I've been setting up the database as a MySQL 5 database. Has anyone had a similar problem? I'm really hitting brick walls here.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    So did the DB that the host script work or not ? Can't really tell from your post.

If you ran the installer... And the host installer script installed... You should have a full working WP installation. Was that the case, or we're you having problems with that install ?

As for DB export / import ... That is a completely different thing... If the DB import fails... You should get some sort of error message telling you so... And when you call the site... White screen is not an option... You should get all kinds of error messages telling you what ( if anything failed )...

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    The famed WordPress WSOD (white screen of death) lol
    Why don't you do a fresh install of WordPress from either your hosting control panel's one-click installer, or download the files from wordpress.org and upload them...
    Once you've got that working, just upload the theme folder, not the whole site...
    Alanna Baxter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I have successfully uploaded several client sites from my development environment (WAMP, on my hard drive) to their new hosts by doing this:

1. use the wp-db-backup plugin to get a copy of the database from your OLD host. Save it as a .zip file to a location where you can easily find it again (I put it in the same folder on my hard drive as the client's site)
    2. set up wordpress on the NEW host - but don't make any posts or pages.
    3. Upload the three main wordpress subdirectories (wp-content, wp-admin, wp-includes) to the NEW host (if working from your HD) or Download them from the OLD host and upload to the NEW host.
    4. expand the zip file of the database you got in step 1 and open it in Notepad++ (free download if you don't already have it). Search and replace your old blog url with your new one. Also, if needed, search and replace your old admin email address with a new one. Now save the file and zip it up again.
    5. launch PHPadmin on the NEW host. Drop all the wordpress tables (scary, yes, but do it). Now go to IMPORT and load the edited zip file.
    6. wait (I don't know why, but it takes some time for everything to "settle in", anything from 15 minutes to 1/2hour has been my experience) ...
    7. now you should be able to go to your blog. More than likely you need to log back in again.
    8. A couple of issues were:
    a. wp-greet-box plugin ... so I deleted it
    b. permalinks not working correctly. I fixed this by just selecting the default, saving, then picking my preferred structure again!
    You may have to tweak a few more things, depending on your widget settings, etc, but this should work.
    Let me know how it turns out.
    Alanna Baxter likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Webzarus, the database imported fine. There were no error messages. And yes, it was a fresh install and the twentyeleven site was visible in the browser. Whatever is going on seems to be with the database. I've removed plugins and anything extra. Even setting up the database worked fine. As soon as I pointed the wp-config.php to the database, that's when I got the white screen. So I'm thinking it has to be with the database somehow.

Shovenose, I ended up doing exactly that but no luck.

AlphaMare, I''ll give your instructions a shot. I'm using WAMP also.

I have one more idea I'm going to try. I'm going to create a new database as MySQL 4 and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks, guys.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    What version of WP is your install... Seem I read somewhere an lot of the new plugins and some functionality of WP ( newer installs )... Need the MySQL 5 to work properly.. I might be wrong though... Fairly new to WP.. At least the newer versions... After playing with it when it was new... Never had a need for it...

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Thanks, Webzarus. Unfortunately, I'm still no better off. I've reinstalled a fresh WP app from the host side. I followed AlphaMare's instructions to the letter and still white screen. It has to be the database. I just don't understand why it will run fine under WAMP but not when I upload it so it must have something to do with the way I'm doing this. I'm sure that I am creating the database correctly on the host side so it must be with the actual sql file and the configuration.

I opened the .sql file in Notepad++ and did a find/replace with "localhost" to www.sitename.com. I thought that would fix it but no luck. I was on with tech support again. They said everything looked fine. The hosting packing is with Blacknight.com. I've combed their FAQ's, forum, etc. and still can't figure this out.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I did have a similar problem with one host, where the settings for the db connection worked fine under WAMP but then had problems on the actual server. It took me several calls to tech support before I found someone who was able to tell me what to do - there were some changes in the config.php that I had to make, and the tech support had just assumed I had set it up the way that particular host needed it. I was used to defining the MySQL hostname as 'localhost' on every other hosting service I had used - in this one case, with a host i was using for the first time, the hostname had to be set up this way:

/** MySQL hostname */
    define('DB_HOST', 'localhost'); // this changed to 'hostingaccountusername.hostnamemysql.com'

Also, make sure you define unique salts and keys in the config.php.

How big is the site? how many pages etc?
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Thanks, AlphaMare. Yes, for this particular hosting company you are correct. When you first set up WP with Blacknight.ie it creates a database and uses an IP address as a host. If you import your own database you have to create a database and change the database name, user, and password. You also have to replace the IP address with the internal name. I have done all that several times. So now I'm thinking it must have something to do with the way I'm either exporting the information or the way it's importing.

My next step today is to export a database on another site with the same hosting company and have a look at it in Notepad++ and see what's what. Then try again. Last night I did yet another fresh installation and it held onto the previous databases so now it's throwing out apache errors. I've logged another ticket with tech support.

I'm determined to get this sorted. (I kinda have to. I have a client waiting on this.) The site isn't that big at all. I had only barely started it. It has probably 6 pages and no content yet. I showed it to the client who said just get it live as soon as possible. So I just wanted to get what I had uploaded so I could start adding content. It did have two plugins that were causing problems but I haven't gotten that far recently with the fresh installations.

I'll post again if I make any progress today. The saga continues......

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I have seen on several occasions where the default DB location for pre-installed apps is a different DB server than the actual DB server that you connect to in your client control panel.

Yes, once setup the WP DB is accessible from you control panel, but there are some differences.

I had a client once that had use the installers for a WP install, an AD SYSTEM, and a FAQ system, he started having intermittent issues... In digging into the configs... We found that each DB was hosted on a different server... When he tried to put his ads on his FAQ section... The DB connections were causing conflicts...

Just because they are all accessible from the control panel doesn't necessairly mean they all in the same location. I know my reseller account uses 1 of about 12 different DB servers...

I'm really just starting out with WP stuff... But after this thread.. I think the only thing I will develop locally is the theme..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads