Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Im planning an ecommerce site on wordpress. Basically the site will have an header containing a logo and short caption. A banner with home page, product categories and contact buttons. A static page with 2 sidebars. One sidebar with categories,adsense, pages and related news. Other sidebar with featured products,popular products,latest tweets and email subscription box.

All products will be linked from retailers website through affiliate links so no payment system or shopping cart is needed. Can someone please help how to set this up?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    From what you have written, it sounds like the main part of the page would contain whatever resulted from clicking on any of the links in the sidebars, right?

Would you be displaying the products as well, or just a list of links to the other retailers?

If you want to display the products, would you want to do so in a grid?

How many categories are there and how many products in each category and it total?

How much customisation of the look of the site is required (for example, do they want custom backgroundsm, and a custom logo, etc)?

There are all kinds of design and layout questions to be answered before the right solution can be recommended. WordPress offers more freedom to customize the overall look, shopping cart software offers more options for product display. Give as many details as you can and we'll certainly try to help.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Yes pages will contain the result of clicks in the sidebar, especially the left sidebar with categories.

The home page will have a 300-350 word artcile about the product and why the site is the best place to buy. Then 8 products(pics linked to retailers) displayed in a grid below the article
    The products wil be displayed as well not just the links.

Yes the products wil be displsyed in a grid

There are 3 categories- brands(7), screen size (3) and memory (2)

Total number of products is about 25

A click on any of the categories will open a page filled with products in a grid linked directly from retailers sites and a click on any of the products takes the viewer to the retailers site to complete the transaction.

Im not too paticular about logos or background. As long as its tidy, neat and wont frighten people off. I think you have a general idea of what Im trying to set up, going by your questions

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    So, 7 products in the Brands category, 3 in the screen size category and 2 in the memory category? Is that right?

And your home page with article and 8 products - something like this (very rough idea...)

e-store.jpg

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Yes alphamre that is more or less the layout and design. Except the sidebars will be a left sidebar and a right sidebar with the page contents in the middle and a line dividing the sidebars from the content on each side.

There are 7 manufacturers(brands) so yes there will be 7 entries under brands, 3 screen sizes so 3 entries under size and 2 memory types so 2 entries under memory.

Taking shape already uh? Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by b.dgtal, post: 233241
    Yes alphamre that is more or less the layout and design. Except the sidebars will be a left sidebar and a right sidebar with the page contents in the middle and a line dividing the sidebars from the content on each side.

There are 7 manufacturers(brands) so yes there will be 7 entries under brands, 3 screen sizes so 3 entries under size and 2 memory types so 2 entries under memory.

Taking shape already uh? Thanks
    For the grid of products, if you're using WordPress, I'd recommend you find a gallery plugin.

Member #
    Of course. Is the twenty eleven theme ok for this design?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by b.dgtal, post: 233318
    Of course. Is the twenty eleven theme ok for this design?
    You can use any theme you like, really. Twenty-eleven is clean, simple, straightforward, easy to understand and will take most plugins.

If you don't mind a small investment, there are purchased themes with sortable portfolios that could maybe be an easier way for you to organise your category images. You'd have to do some research.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    If you're developing WordPress sites or any sites for that matter, particularly eCommerce, you want to have some type of nice design for the user to enjoy the experience of being on your site.

I recently found a very nice free theme that would perhaps cater to your needs:
    http://www.dessign.net/ultragrid/

I've used it recently on our latest subsite, [Edit: Link removed as per forum rules. self- promotion links not allowed, only in signature after 25 posts. AlphaMare.]
    Let me know your thoughts.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    install jigoshop...killer cart system!

Remove Ads