Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi guys,
    I am just getting into WordPress and trying to design a similar website like this one -----> http://www.thenutspokerleague.com/
    I am not sure if it was designed with WordPress or not? Please if it isn't WordPress can you let me know what was used. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I took a look at the code - it looks to me like that site was hand-coded.
    There's a lot of javascript there, in the HTML, to provide the interactive functionality with the mouseover events on the cards.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Thanks AlphaMare, I thought so too but wasn't sure. I took a peek using firebug

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sholan300, post: 233344
    Thanks AlphaMare, I thought so too but wasn't sure. I took a peek using firebug
    Or you can right-click and choose "view page source", which will show you the whole page.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Wordpress is a CMS. Nothing is designed in it. The "look" or behavior of a site has very little to do with what CMS is (or an at all) is behind it.

That site could very easily be "done with WordPress".

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jwind, post: 233766
    Wordpress is a CMS. Nothing is designed in it. The "look" or behavior of a site has very little to do with what CMS is (or an at all) is behind it.

That site could very easily be "done with WordPress".
    I agree - you can put almost any kind of look onto a WP site - the layout is not always as forgiving but as long as you have the right page templates in your theme, you can do almost anything with it.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 233776
    the layout is not always as forgiving but as long as you have the right page templates in your theme, you can do almost anything with it.
    How so? The only limitations in layout are your HTML/CSS skills and imagination.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jwind, post: 233777
    How so? The only limitations in layout are your HTML/CSS skills and imagination.
    Well, you can do anything you want and have the patience to learn how to do, but WordPress is not just HTML and CSS.

It's not as flexible as straight HTML/CSS as far as positioning goes - if you want to get fancy with the layout - for example: a header, below that a section with a sidebar, then below that a section with no sidebar but three columns, then a footer divided into four columns - to make the template for that kind of page you have to know enough PHP to call the right elements and place them on the page in the correct order for your CSS to achieve the layout.

Unless you want that layout for the whole site, you'd have to have an alternative header file, an alternative footer file, an alternative page(content) file, and a template file that would call them all. This can be achieved with custom post types, and while it can be done, it is not as easy as laying everything out with straight HTML and CSS.
    Just my opinion.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    It's probably not WP-based.
    I guessed because the /wp-login.php file is not there...

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 233778
    Well, you can do anything you want and have the patience to learn how to do, but WordPress is not just HTML and CSS.

It's not as flexible as straight HTML/CSS as far as positioning goes - if you want to get fancy with the layout - for example: a header, below that a section with a sidebar, then below that a section with no sidebar but three columns, then a footer divided into four columns - to make the template for that kind of page you have to know enough PHP to call the right elements and place them on the page in the correct order for your CSS to achieve the layout.

Unless you want that layout for the whole site, you'd have to have an alternative header file, an alternative footer file, an alternative page(content) file, and a template file that would call them all. This can be achieved with custom post types, and while it can be done, it is not as easy as laying everything out with straight HTML and CSS.
    Just my opinion.
    Just use if else statements and includes. Far far FAR more flexible and much faster then static html/css sites to construct and very easy to learn.

You can do everything and MORE with a WP site (or like CMS) and generally faster and more efficiently. That's the whole point!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads