Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I'm trying to put a custom header into a wordpress site. The width is 1000 px, height: 150. I copied out the height and width section from the twenty eleven theme's functions.php and pasted it into the child theme functions.php. Then I changed the height and width.

Next, I went into the header uploader page and uploaded the header. But each time I do, WP wants to crop the image! Even tho the size is set!

Anyone know how I can fix this? Sorry if I sound desperate but I am. I've been working on this one little piece for ages! The website address is: www.kilboraquiltshoppe.com.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Which image is being cropped? I think you have to fix this in the CSS of the child theme.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    It was the banner image I was trying to load. I found a way to fix it. It seems that even though the image width is set to 1000 px in the child theme functions.php file the crop window in the header uploader is set to 940 px. Not sure why that is and I couldn't find how to change it. But when I resized my banner to 940 px and reloaded it, it displayed properly.

I had run into this problem before but couldn't remember how I fixed it. I tried to fix it in CSS but it didn't work. I'm sure I was doing something wrong there as well.

I'm beginning to think that customizing Wordpress themes with child themes is more difficult than simply writing your own php code. There's so much there that my site doesn't really need and I don't have time to take out all the unnecessary code. I think it's time to learn to write my own php!!

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    IMO WordPress is a royal pain in the ***!

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I like and use WP quite often.It is a good platform for clients on a tight budget, who want to manage the site themselves. I don't write much PHP for my child themes, maybe a couple of extra functions, but not a lot. I use custom post types and mainly write CSS and javascript for the child themes. I think it depends on what framework you are using. I have never used Twenty-eleven (that I can remember) but it sounds as if it is fairly limiting. I have a couple of frameworks I use now, and I make page templates as I need them. There is one child theme where I did write a fair bit of PHP, to enable me to put a different sidebar on every page. That was for a client, and the site has been working very well.
    You do have to be careful with WP to bump up the security - create and name your own database, change the table prefixes, make a custom login, etc. But so far the only site of mine that has ever been hacked (knock wood) is a fully hand-coded HTML/CSS one.
    Alanna Baxter likes this.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 237703
    I like and use WP quite often.It is a good platform for clients on a tight budget, who want to manage the site themselves. I don't write much PHP for my child themes, maybe a couple of extra functions, but not a lot. I use custom post types and mainly write CSS and javascript for the child themes. I think it depends on what framework you are using. I have never used Twenty-eleven (that I can remember) but it sounds as if it is fairly limiting. I have a couple of frameworks I use now, and I make page templates as I need them. There is one child theme where I did write a fair bit of PHP, to enable me to put a different sidebar on every page. That was for a client, and the site has been working very well.
    You do have to be careful with WP to bump up the security - create and name your own database, change the table prefixes, make a custom login, etc. But so far the only site of mine that has ever been hacked (knock wood) is a fully hand-coded HTML/CSS one.
    Personally I don't WordPress's overhead for something small... like the Renewcomputers.com website I'm redoing in Get-Simple CMS... Get-Simple is faster, easier, doesn't need a database, and is also more secure problably...
    But it's probably a matter of what you've gotten used to... I just find it's easier for me AND the client to use a smaller, more simplistic CMS that also only has usually a SINGLE template.php and a SINGLE style.css
    Alanna Baxter likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Good advice, guys. Thanks. I had to shelf this site for awhile due to my schedule but now I have to finish it. I'm putting up a shop on this site as well so I''ll have to beef up security. I planned on creating a sub-domain for the shop and add an SSL to that sub-domain and point payments to Paypal. That's pretty secure, huh? I really can't afford to have any security issues with this site.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shovenose, post: 237708
    I just find it's easier for me AND the client to use a smaller, more simplistic CMS that also only has usually a SINGLE template.php and a SINGLE style.css
    I guess that works if you want one-size-fits-all pages. My client wanted a flexibility than using just one template would not allow.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanna Baxter, post: 237761
    Good advice, guys. Thanks. I had to shelf this site for awhile due to my schedule but now I have to finish it. I'm putting up a shop on this site as well so I''ll have to beef up security. I planned on creating a sub-domain for the shop and add an SSL to that sub-domain and point payments to Paypal. That's pretty secure, huh? I really can't afford to have any security issues with this site.
    If you're gonna collect customer info, then yes, SSL is the way to go... If you're gonna send everything to pay pal... Then SSL is really not needed, as once you send the client to pay pal, everything there is encrypted by their system.

Many people just throw SSL at everything, thinking its protecting them, when in fact the only need for SSL ( the only data that is encrypted ) is data that is handled with the post or get command...

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    SSL is still useful, because it increases consumer trust in the website and/or product, IMO...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads