Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello, this is my first post here and I hope to contribute to the forum regularly in future, but I wanted to jump straight in with a slight dilemma I currently have.

I have just built a new website in WordPress for a dentist and we are now at the stage where they are filling out the pages with the content they want. I am also going to make the site mobile friendly and I decided to do this by implementing a mobile specific site on a sub domain with a redirection script on the main desktop site.

I know I could have used responsive themes to develop the site initially, however I have no experience in using them, plus was finding it difficult to figure out how I could implement the design the dentist wants (They had a very clearly defined layout etc they wanted) into the general responsive layouts.

Anyway, I have some simple, but effective mobile templates, both HTML/CSS based and wordpress based. I was initially going to use a basic HTML/CSS structure and try to pull the content from the WordPress database for the specific pages and hopefully display that content in the mobile framework. This would then auto update whenever the dentist made changes to their normal wordpress desktop website.

However I thought maybe it could be possible that I create a new directory of wordpress and link it to the already in use database? Is this possible, or does a new database have to be created in the installation process?

If I can create a new Wordpress directory and base it off the current database, I could then upload the mobile theme and hopefully it will all integrate.

Anyone tried this method before or believe it could work/fail?

If not, I'll try and manually do some php coding to display the relevant content for each page. And if that fails it'll have to just be a static HTML mobile site which I will have to update for them as they make updates to the desktop site.

Thanks in advance for any responses I get.

***Edit: Just seen there is a Wordpress specific forum above, so I'm sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section!:unsure:

Member #
    Just had a thought. Would simply copying the current WordPress folder and pasting it into the subdomain folder just do the trick? And then by logging into the subdomain dashboard, apply the mobile theme for this wordpress folder? Hmmmm I'll give it a try.

Remove Ads