Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    This is the first time I have ever had a client's website hacked. His hosting company informed me it was hacked and gave me the code to put on the .htacess file. Only the home page is working. All of the other pages give me this error:

Not Found
    The requested URL /store was not found on this server.

Can someone please help me get this restored. The website is http://noahspantry.org

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Well, so much for Moseley's argument that the new version of WordPress is secure.

First things first...change any and all passwords. Your host should have changed your FTP, CPanel and any other hosting-related passwords. The onus is on you to change the ones related to WordPress.

Second, and I'm not a Wordpress "guru" by any means (I avoid it like the plague, and your being hacked is my primary reason why), you shouldn't need an .htaccess file to deal with the pages related to Wordpress. I've done this without .htaccess on a Windows server...if I recall correctly (and the last time I did this was several years ago), the 404.php page handles it.

Third...it looks like you're using the current version of WordPress. However, you may or may not be using the latest version of your plugins. Upgrade those.

The rest of the steps would depend upon the nature of your hack. How exactly did your host inform you of the hack, and what was the nature of the hack?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 239261
    Well, so much for Moseley's argument that the new version of WordPress is secure.

First things first...change any and all passwords. Your host should have changed your FTP, CPanel and any other hosting-related passwords. The onus is on you to change the ones related to WordPress.

Second, and I'm not a Wordpress "guru" by any means (I avoid it like the plague, and your being hacked is my primary reason why), you shouldn't need an .htaccess file to deal with the pages related to Wordpress. I've done this without .htaccess on a Windows server...if I recall correctly (and the last time I did this was several years ago), the 404.php page handles it.

Third...it looks like you're using the current version of WordPress. However, you may or may not be using the latest version of your plugins. Upgrade those.

The rest of the steps would depend upon the nature of your hack. How exactly did your host inform you of the hack, and what was the nature of the hack?
    Thanks for your reply. I just changed the wordpress password, I am waiting for my client to forward me the email to reset his cpanel password. I really dislike his hosting. It is with hostmysite.com. I also removed the .htacess file. Everything is current.

I love wordpress and this is the first out of 50 websites that I have had this issue. I noticed there was an internal server error and I contacted the host. They said initially that there had been a server outage and that had been fixed however they would check into why his site was still down. Than they emailed him and told him it looked like the .htacess file had been hacked.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    "Looked like" is not the same thing as "Is". It may not have been hacked at all. If you have an old copy of the .htaccess file, revert to it and see what happens.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    It had come back up and than it went down again a couple of days ago. so than I deleted the htacess files and the home page works but no other pages do. so than I created the htacess file with the code the hosting gave me and the same thing home page works but not the other pages.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If you installed any plugins or skins (the SEO pack comes to mind), MAYBE rerunning the plugin can result in the .htaccess being configured.

The problem with your question is that there are about a million possibilities as to what happened and how to solve it, though. So I can keep guessing at things, but I may never get it.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 239267
    If you installed any plugins or skins (the SEO pack comes to mind), MAYBE rerunning the plugin can result in the .htaccess being configured.

The problem with your question is that there are about a million possibilities as to what happened and how to solve it, though. So I can keep guessing at things, but I may never get it.
    Ok I can understand that. My question is how can I get the site working correctly again. I added a new page and that is also not working.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Again, it comes down to "what's wrong with it?" And in this case, it could be the .htaccess file that's incorrectly configured, it could be a 404 page that's misconfigured, it could be a plugin that's not firing, it could be a setting within Wordpress, it could be a combination of things, or it could be none of the above.

I'm not trying to overwhelm you by saying that...I'm saying that this is why I can't venture a guess. The only way I'd personally be able to figure it out is to play with it, see what signs I see when I change things, and use my own resourcefulness to figure it out.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Holli Fischer, post: 239268
    Ok I can understand that. My question is how can I get the site working correctly again. I added a new page and that is also not working.
    This would actually fall under the category of backup and recovery.

Yes, you need to backup all the files on the site, once you get it configured and running. Also, pull a backup of the DB on a regular basis.

The .htaccess file contains mod-rewrite rules from your config settings, mainly the one for "pretty URL's", if that file is corrupt or missing, then urls that relied on that rule, will not function.

Having a backup, would mean just re-loading the files using FTP, and pushing the copy of the DB.

Sure it's not what you want to hear, but that's all part of this game, plan for the worst, hope for the best, and backup everything you can.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    WOW - this is a shame, and can be a real PITA to fix.
    If you have a local copy you could try restoring from that.
    Or, if you would be willing to let me have temporary access to the dashboard and FTP I may be able to help. I have run across this once with a client's site - not one I installed and configured, but one they came to me for help with. It was not clear to the host what had been hacked, just that something was wrong, but I am familiar with the file and folder structure in WP and found a folder with one file in it that did not belong to the site - this was the hack. I deleted the folder by FTP, backed everything up and created a new database with custom table prefixes and some other security measures, and restored the installation to the new database. Once that was done all passwords were changed on a weekly basis for three weeks. There have been no further problems.
    Alanna Baxter likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads