Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    So I've figured out that you can customise a child theme... However I'm not sure how much I can customise it and how to make one lol

Basically I've got my website footer as a php file. Is it possible to remove their Wordpress footer and simply use the include php call to add mine to my child template?

Thanks again
    Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you're gonna die 2morrow!

Member #
    Liked
    713 times
    Here's something to look at:
    http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2011...s-child-theme/

I guess I've never used a child-theme, nor have I installed the plug-in for that.

I usually just go into the actual theme, located the file needed, and change it.
    In your case, the file is probably called "footer.php". I suppose the reason to use
    a child theme might be if the original main theme has updates, it would overwrite
    the files, but not the child theme files?

If you don't think the main theme will ever be overwritten by a different version,
    just look at the theme files and modify the ones you want. If using child themes
    seems to be the better choice, I found the link above using Google.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    2 problems...

firstly ive edited #page to set the width to 1010px however it wont seem to get any bigger than 1000px, how can i combat this?

finally...

ive figured out how to remove their header by using

#branding {
    display:none;
    }

and wollah...

now my header new is in a file called navheader.php..

is it possible to edit their header.php so that i can have my navheader.php as my blog header...

cheers

Member #
    Liked
    713 times
    Again, I usually use my FTP (filezilla) to put the them files on my PC
    and edit them manually using Notepad++ ... there is also some .css
    stylesheet files.

Likewise, on the WP admin section, you can edit files through that using
    their file editor feature. Look at the theme's CSS stylesheet files and
    find out where the 1000px limitation is.

I would say you can edit any files you want within your theme directory.
    Perhaps you should make a safe copy of the entire theme directory before
    you make changes. Go ahead and open up the various files like "header.php"
    and hack away at them. You can always put back the original file if you
    mess up too much.

Don't change any files outside of your theme directory. When you update your
    WP versions, the files get overwritten ... but not the theme directories.
    They remain untouched by any WP updates (exception: the themes that come
    with WP). But you've installed your own theme, and are not using the default
    themes that come with WP.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    ive already hacked away and im still confused.. the fact is there is no set width that i can see... i change it to 600px and it shrinks i try to put it at 1010px and it sticks at 1000px im like eh wtf????

does anyone know how to include php files within wordpress cause id like to know how so i can include my header and footer

cheers

Member #
    Liked
    713 times
    Here's a site that I can give you an example ...

http://www.ruralcommunities.org

View the HTML and you'll see these lines:
    Code:
    <style type="text/css" media="screen">@import url( http://ruralcommunities.org/wp-content/themes/Blognews/style.css );</style>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="http://ruralcommunities.org/wp-content/themes/Blognews/styles/dark.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="http://ruralcommunities.org/wp-content/themes/Blognews/custom.css" type="text/css" media="screen" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="http://ruralcommunities.org/wp-content/themes/Blognews/styles/print.css" type="text/css"  media="print" />
    So, I started looking at them one by one.

When I view the "dark.css", I see this:

Code:
    #wrapper {
    padding:3px 5px 0;
    background:#fff;
    width:970px;
    margin:0 auto;
    }
    That 970px is the width of the page.

CSS is always loaded in order, so if there were another #wrapper tag in the "custom.css",
    that one would take precedence. That's why "custom.css" is usually loaded last because
    users like us make custom changes to various CSS tags.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    First, I'm moving this to the WordPress forum -
    Second - post a link so I can see the code - I'll try to help.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    OK - if you are going to edit any of the function files in the theme, you really should put them in a child theme, or else when you update the theme or the WP version, it will likely break.

Any file in the child theme will automatically overwrite the files in the parent theme - therefore if you have custom CSS, it will overwrite the CSS in the parent theme. That is why it is so important to name your classes and id's properly when making a child theme.

As for the functions (where the footer goes, which file to call, etc.) - be aware that functions are loaded in addition to, rather than instead of, the parent theme's functions. There are many good tutorials on how to do this, but I recommend this one and this one.

Once you understand how child themes work, it becomes quite easy to design any WP installation just the way you want it.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads