Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Dear Community,

I recently had a web developer create a website that is hosted on Godaddy. I learned however
    that the WP I initially installed on GD was not used. They set up a manual WP. Over-riding
    the GD installation.

Q1: Where are the WP files of my website?

Since now I am interested in doing things like , backing up the DB regularly, making changes through
    the CMS etc etc..

Everywhere I read they refer to the files being on "the server".

Q2: Whose server?

I don't see a cpanel on my WP dashboard..essentially I want to make sure that I have secure backups
    before I start charging in. And since the WP was not set up on GDaddy - which is what I was lead to
    believe at the time- GD will not support the WP side if I upload it there.

Q3: Can I install a plug in on my manually set up WP site to do a databackup? Or am I now set up
    as some kind of hostage to my website developer?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hi JobGuy,

Did he install it on his server or yours?

You should be able to install a plugin if you have access to the Dashboard with Admin access.

Am I correct in assuming you have no way to contact him/ask him for this information directly?

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Well i have found nothing but security problems with wp so my help for wordpress is try another CMS
    Chris Banks (Owner & CEO)
    SUNDOT INC.
    www.sundotsolution.com | 415-449-4755
    More than a solution, it's the Sundot Solution.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sundot, post: 243179
    Well i have found nothing but security problems with wp so my help for wordpress is try another CMS
    Your flippant reply does not address the OP's question. He is not asking which CMS to use, he wants to know how to access the one he has.

Quote Originally Posted by JobGuy, post: 243019
    I recently had a web developer create a website that is hosted on Godaddy. I learned however that the WP I initially installed on GD was not used. They set up a manual WP. Over-riding the GD installation.
    Q1: Where are the WP files of my website?
    If the site is being hosted on GoDaddy, the files (and the database) should be there. If they are not, then you need to get your developer to tell you where they are.
    Everywhere I read they refer to the files being on "the server".
    Q2: Whose server?
    The server of whichever company is hosting the site. In this case it sounds like it should be GoDaddy, but again, your developer should tell you where exactly they are and how to access them.
    1) I don't see a cpanel on my WP dashboard..
    2) essentially I want to make sure that I have secure backups before I start charging in.
    3) And since the WP was not set up on GDaddy - which is what I was lead to believe at the time- GD will not support the WP side if I upload it there.
    1) you won't get a cpanel on the dashboard, you only get your cpanel on the hosting company's website.
    2) you can get a good backup plugin through your dashboard - check these out:

3) if it is not on GoDaddy, you need to find out where it is.
    [/quote]
    Q3: Can I install a plug in on my manually set up WP site to do a databackup? Or am I now set up
    as some kind of hostage to my website developer?
    I am not understanding your definitions here - what exactly do you mean by "a manually set up WP site"? I think you may mean he has set up the site without using the one-step installer. That is not a bad thing to do, in fact it is the first of many steps I take to secure my WP installs. But your developer should be giving you all the access info you need to maintain the site.

If you can, contact the designer and ask him for the FTP information (hostname, username, password, etc ) for the site he built for you. Ask him specifically where it is hosted.

And let us know how you get on.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    There are two ways to install WordPress:
    1. Through your host's one-click automatic installer. This is easier, but most people who know what they're doing prefer to do it the 2nd way:
    2. Download the WordPress files from http://wordpress.org/ then upload them to the server, then install it manually. It takes a bit longer but it's more reliable and secure.
    Your "server" would be your "host" which would in this case (as you claimed in your post) by GoDaddy.

Remove Ads