Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hello guys...Anyone know about .htaccess that can help me.We are moving our html website to a wordpress.And we a a wordpress header which is in flash.And we have some menu's on it.So,I was wondering how we can update those links.Since we dont have the orignal flash file and we only have the swf.

They say .htaccess is the way to solve it,but I dont know how.So,anycan can give me suggestion on how to update it..

Here is the html file..
    http://4x4dxb.com

and here is our wordpress file that were editing

http://4x4dxb.com/wp/wp

Thank you..

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    In the long run, it would be better to replace it completely. Here's why

1. Flash is not visible on any apple device ( meaning you have just limited usability to a potential user base of millions ).

2. Search engines can read flash, they just choose not to, so links embedded I any flash are not being followed by search engines.

3. Items in flash tend to not play well with "responsive" design and in many cases, break perfectly good responsive layouts.

Many of my clients over the past few years had flash from previous designers, I encouraged them to let me replace the flash portions with HTML/CSS and sometimes jQuery, citing the above. They were all in agreement ... And the changes in most cases have had only positive reactions by both users and search engines. The sites are now being indexed properly, an NO more comments from users about the site not looking or working correctly.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Hey Webzarus..

Yeah,I know about that..But this one is a client website.And they dont want to change it.So,we need to have the .htaccess for it.Do you know how?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'll give you one good reason why you should replace the Flash, whether your client agrees or not..."compitative" (competitive). If there are spelling errors that can't be fixed, you might as well scrap it.

If they want another reason, tell them to click the "Home" link.

If they keep it, I'd suggest finding something other than Wordpress to work with for the simple reason that it's a catalog site, and a catalog site should use...well, anything built for a catalog site. Wordpress isn't it.

Now, if you insist on going down this route that you've proposed...which I'd strongly recommend against, and I suspect WZ would as well...then what you'll want to do with .htaccess is come up with a rule for each of the pages to redirect to their corresponding Wordpress page. This will explain how in general terms (you'll have to apply the knowledge here to your specific pages and set of circumstances):

http://knowledge.freshpromo.ca/seo-t...t.php#htaccess

Now...the .htaccess rule may not be entirely accurate. I know their ASP example isn't (Googlebot will choke on a 301 redirect without the Response.End). But the general idea should be there.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads