Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Using Wordpress, I basically want my posts to automatically post on other pages but under a specific category.

To elaborate, if I publish a post on the home page and categorize that as "Music" for example and add "Music" on the menu then it will automatically post on the "Music" page as well.

How do I do that?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    You don't...

You post to the the categories... so all post to that category are kept on the same page...

There's a setting or plugin for WP that once turned on... no matter where you post ( whatever category ), a "blurb" of the post shows up on the front page with a link to that post...

been a while since I've been in the admin section, but this is actually a pretty common thing I've seen on many WP sites...

Member #
    Sorry, but your answer "you don't" is quite wrong. I am a graphic designer so I know any website can function the way you design it to function.

I understand when you post that it shows up on the front page. I understand you can categorize it. I understand you can search a category and you can add a sub-page under that category.

You missed my whole inquiry entirely. Like I already said, I'm trying to have my "front page" posts automatically post to a "Page" I created.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by neon_seller, post: 251653, member: 36342
    Sorry, but your answer "you don't" is quite wrong. I am a graphic designer so I know any website can function the way you design it to function.
    That may be true - but that does not necessarily apply to WordPress, which functions the way the core code designed it to function.

If I understand you correctly you want every post to appear (in full ?) on your front page, and also on a page with posts only from that category (Music, Drama, Whatever).

WP comes with a default setting, which is to post excerpts of every post to the front page, and then also to sort the posts into categories, which then will show only the posts assigned to those categories when that category is chosen (usually from a menu in a sidebar). This is as simple as creating a new category for every type of post you have;e.g. Music, Drama, Hobbies, etc.

If you want more control over how and where the posts display, you can do this using conditional tags. Conditional Tags can let you change how content is displayed depending on what conditions are met. For example, you can check if the user is on the frontpage, or some other page, or even if s/he is logged in or not. Here is another good article on conditionals.

I don't know what level of coding ability you have as a designer, but In order to use conditionals you'll have to learn some basic PHP. WP uses HTML elements wrapped around PHP tags in the template files, and CSS to style those elements, but the PHP is what builds its pages and posts from the database.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Yes, you're right. It's a CMS based website using Wordpress as the platform. I know this might take some advanced web development which is easier for me to hire someone that specializes in CMS coding. I was just wondering if there was a plugin that could do this for me.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Do a Google search for "WP plugins conditionals" and you should find one or two.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times

You missed my whole inquiry entirely. Like I already said, I'm trying to have my "front page" posts automatically post to a "Page" I created.
    My apologies for mis-understanding your question, although the wording may not have been entirely clear to me.

No worries, I won't be "missing the enquiry" in the future.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That, my friend, is an incredibly dangerous statement, and unfortunately it's fairly typical of graphic designers. Just because you can draw it in Photoshop doesn't mean it can or should function the "way you design it".

As a developer, I've worked with files generated by graphic designers and a lot of them haven't got the foggiest idea of how the web works, so they create things and expect them to show up exactly as they do in the PSD...including fixed font sizes and widths, pixel perfect placement, heavy use of large graphics, and other things. As soon as someone adjusts his/her font size or has a different screen resolution, then the layout is no longer as the designer intended. The developer usually takes the blame here, and the designer takes full credit when the layout is converted to web "properly" when the developer often had to make significant alterations or spend quite a bit of time getting certain aspects of the design to work.

A lot of the time graphic designers are so concerned about the perfect "image" for the site that they often ignore other aspects that make the design unusable. I had a graphic designer supply me with a layout several years ago (back in the age of CRTs) that was 1150 pixels wide. This is when 1024 x 768 was the dominant screen resolution and as a result, I couldn't work with the layout and had to point out the flaw in it. "Well, if people don't upgrade their monitor to an LCD, they're not going to be customers anyway." This would probably be true now, but it wasn't in 2004 when the guy made the statement.

What you'll want to understand....really understand and not just pay lip service to...before you go any further is that web design and graphic design are two very different beasts. I also want to make clear that I'm not bitter or angry toward graphic designers or toward you when I say this...I'm just trying to prevent you from getting into a mindset that will get you or someone else into trouble down the road, that's all.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    @TheGame1264

You shouldn't assume so quick. Graphic Designers and Web Designers are modular these days. So, anyone that's gone to college for "graphic design" after about the year 2000 is an in-line web designer as well. The extent of how much they focused on web design depends on their individual core classes and specializations.

Anyway, I was investigating an "easier" way to do things using CMS. I normally write code and design websites from scratch so I'm very familiar with how ones coding can affect ones layout unless you edit the stylesheet and keep the same format. I'm not advanced in php but I only studied HTML/CSS throughout college and my career thereafter. Yes, I do have my degree in graphic design and I've been a working professional in the industry for 4 years including freelance. My day to day operations is talking to web developers, creative directors, marketing managers, etc. So, believe me, I know exactly what I'm asking. The first answer was quite rude because I know what I'm asking can be done.

Now, the reason why I don't want to write the code for it is because I have a team of people working for me that do not know any code unless we're talking about old school Myspace coding (lol). I'm just trying to make things easier for my team so they don't have to manually do things they're not trained in doing like write code.

What I'm asking has nothing to do with the graphics/images or "Photoshop" since you assume that's all I know. It's the same theme whether or not it's the front page or last page so I don't see a real conflict between the two. The only thing I'm trying to change here is functionality which I explained in my previous posts. I never mentioned images because I do understand things like "containers" and sizing images to fit those containers.

So far I found one option to just create subcatgories but then the website gets clunky and creates yet another step for visitors to go through rather than just clicking on the Nav Menu Category and seeing the posts on the page. Furthermore, I want to be able to post on the front page and have it automatically post on another page. If there is no easy way around this other than writing code then that's fine too. It doesn't hurt to ask.

It's kind of like writing code for hours and then you test it on every browser but then for some odd reason it doesn't work in Explorer for example (such as elements in your design off by pixels or shifted because of some small error in the code)... you spend hours and days trying to figure it out and you still can't fix it! Then one day your colleague comes around and looks at it for 1 minute and says..."Hey, you missed a comma over here." and you say... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGGG!

That's exactly why I'm here, seeking help in an area of web development that I'm not too familiar with. I was sort of hoping someone knew of a plugin that could do this. I mean... there should be one if there isn't.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 251663, member: 20289
    Do a Google search for "WP plugins conditionals" and you should find one or two.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads