Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Wordpress help

Member #

Wordpress help

Hello
    I want to design a graduation book like website that graduates from my university would submit their information and picture and have a page for each graduate so people could leave comments or msgs
    Also i want to have a page where people can type job openings they know about*and i have couple of questions.

1) how do i design a page that shows all graduate students pictures with an option to search by name
    2) how can i add a page where people can submit and upload their pictures and information for me so i can add them to the page myself ( i don't want it to be automated)*
    3) how do i add a static homepage to wordpress*

I don't know a lot about web design and coding i just know some html and css so can i do it myself or i have to pay for a designer ?

Thanks*

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    if you're planning on using WP to do this... then yes, you will need to pay a "developer", not a designer to do what you ask.

What you're talking about is a custom scripting, unless of course you can find a "theme" or "child theme" and some plugins to do what you want.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Yes, this can be done in WordPress, but it is complicated enough that unless you know the software very well, it will take you a long time, and be frustrating.

I work in WordPress quite often, and what you want to do can be accomplished in a number of ways.
    The easiest way to make a site with photos searchable by name would be to set up a number of categories - either 26 (one for each letter of the alphabet) or a category for each name, where you can add a new category every time you add a new name. Then you would set up a search that would be limited to just those categories. Sounds simpler than it is - you'll need to be writing functions in a child theme for that.

There are plugins for classified advertisements that would allow you to have user-uploaded content, and moderate it before it is posted. I've never used them, so I can't recommend one, sorry.

WordPress has a setting where you can set a static homepage - many themes can (and do) override this to set a custom homepage with a specific layout.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads