Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Unhappy Designing for Wordpress

Hi im currently designing a site for a friend, and im kind of new to the coding for wordpress scene , so im just wondering whats the best way to code for wordpress, because as I see it now the front page will mostly be widgets. It's an event based site, and im really not sure how to go about coding, so that I can add in the required widgets easily.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi from Eddie P and Welcome!

I've been using WordPress for some time now and use very little coding at all. I use WP mostly for blogging, but also have sales pages as well.

I'd suggest you going through one of the many free WP courses available online. Send me a post and I'll tell you where some are. This is how I learned and am still learning about WP.

One of the first things you need to do is choose a WP theme that goes along with the content you want on the site. There are a bunch of free themes available from WP. You download the theme, install it, and then start adding your content.

Take care and let me know if I can help!

Member #
    See hes paying me for custom content and he understands im still new at coding for wordpress I have however have a good html/css background so there is a specific look he wants which ive made thru Photoshop and now looking at how to code it says that the widgets are addable afterwards.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    The easiest way is to dig into tutorials and get your hands dirty. The WP Codex has a good guide, but it's a bit on the technical side.

Chris Coyier has a number of really good screencasts on CSS-Tricks that are easy to follow and learn from. You'll have to sift through and find the ones that are relevent, but it'll be worth your time. The screencast about the WP Loop is particularly helpful. I think it's #100 or close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie70 View Post
    I've been using WordPress for some time now and use very little coding at all. I use WP mostly for blogging, but also have sales pages as well.
    Using Wordpress and creating your own theme are to wholly different things.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie70 View Post
    One of the first things you need to do is choose a WP theme that goes along with the content you want on the site. There are a bunch of free themes available from WP. You download the theme, install it, and then start adding your content.
    Again, that has nothing to do with what he's asking. That is, unless you are the guy who passes off other people's work as his own, which is what it sounds like.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by elements View Post
    See hes paying me for custom content and he understands im still new at coding for wordpress I have however have a good html/css background so there is a specific look he wants which ive made thru Photoshop and now looking at how to code it says that the widgets are addable afterwards.
    It sounds to me as if what you are asking is how to convert your Photoshop design into a Wordpress theme. If that is the case, there are several pretty good tutorials online that should at least get you started.

How to convert a PSD template into Wordpress theme

7 Useful PSD to WordPress Tutorials

You said before that you are pretty good at HTML and CSS, and that's good, because the first step is to code out your image in HTML and CSS. The second step is to convert that into PHP for WordPress.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    It is hard for you. we have an easy way for you to customize your page.

you can get some free themes here . there are many widget zones for plugins

EDIT: Link drop removed. One more link drop and you'll be banned. AlphaMare.
    Last edited by AlphaMare; Sep 21st, 2014 at 09:07 AM.

Remove Ads