Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: Complete Re-Design + Move to WP.org

Member #

Complete Re-Design + Move to WP.org

Hi everybody,

since months already I can't find a way to solve this massive problem of mine. I hope you guys can help me out here. Here is the problem:

I run a blog at wordpress.com (ESCapology | Adventure | Travel | Inspiration) with the theme named "Adventure Journal". I designed the header and the background myself.

I really need to move the blog to the self hosted wordpress.org platform. I would like to use a modern theme or framwork that has convenient features and is up to date. (i.e. Enfold, Inovado, Genesis - in terms of functionality etc.)

BUT, I would also like to keep a lot of the design elements of my old blog. I like the general look and mood it conveys, but I am missing modern features, ad integration etc.. Now the "Adventure Journal" is also offered as theme for wordpress.org (http://bit.ly/1oKcEiy) but it is totally out of date.

The question is how to solve this problem?

1. To buy a modern theme and then customizing it with the aim of imitating my old layout? Maybe by using some of the design elements included in the "Adventure Journal" Theme?

2. Complete design of a new theme? Maybe via 99 Designs, ODesk or Fiverr?

3. Also, should be done first? Move the blog content and then re-design? Or first design and then moving of the blog?

Sorry guys, it is complicated and it is driving me crazy since I just can't tie up the end here. Please give me a hint on how to proceed here. Have waited way too long already. Thanks you sooo much!

Phil

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I don't know how WP.com is with plugins, but there is a plugin called Duplicator that could possibly help you here. It'll make a complete copy of your site, and give you an installer that will set everything up for you on the new server. I don't know if it'll work with wp.com, tho. If not, the easiest way to do what you need would be to install WP on the new server and get it set up how you want with a theme. Then, export all of your content from the wp.com blog and import it to the new one.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    If not, the easiest way to do what you need would be to install WP on the new server and get it set up how you want with a theme. Then, export all of your content from the wp.com blog and import it to the new one.
    How would it work if I give the site a whole new structure as well (different menu structure) and then import the content? For example right now my blog shows my blog spots on the home page. I want to create a homepage which gives a quick overview of the site and the blog should be one menu item, but not the main one.

The general question remains: Should I use a ready made theme and have it customized so it looks like my old design, preferably with some of the graphic elements that come with the installation file of the old theme.

Or should I better have a completely new and unique theme programmed? That would be however super expensive.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Philigran View Post
    How would it work if I give the site a whole new structure as well (different menu structure) and then import the content? For example right now my blog shows my blog spots on the home page. I want to create a homepage which gives a quick overview of the site and the blog should be one menu item, but not the main one.
    It won't matter. You're just importing dynamic content. If you change the way it's displayed, it won't affect the content itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Philigran View Post
    The general question remains: Should I use a ready made theme and have it customized so it looks like my old design, preferably with some of the graphic elements that come with the installation file of the old theme.

Or should I better have a completely new and unique theme programmed? That would be however super expensive.
    It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If all you want is to move the site, you want to keep the old look, and you can't just copy over the existing theme, customize another one how you want it.

If you want a new look, either customize a different theme or commission a new one. As a person who does WP themes as part of their offerings, of course I want you to commission one, but if you don't have the budget for it, and you can customize an existing theme, go for it.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    As a person who does WP themes as part of their offerings, of course I want you to commission one, but if you don't have the budget for it, and you can customize an existing theme, go for it.
    Ronald, as I have no precise idea about costs involved, how much would an adaption of an existing theme to make it look like the old layout roughly cost? This should include the graphic design as well as the setup in WP? Just to get an idea .....

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Let me start by saying that I don't customize or adapt other people's themes. I build them all from scratch, and the cost depends highly on what your needs are. I do it that way to ensure you're getting a solution that fits your particular needs as close to perfectly as possible, which costs more than most. For that, I don't show up for less than $800.

Now, to customize a downloaded theme is a difficult thing to price. The problem with that is I have to basically learn that theme and how the creator coded it, and the people who code them don't often have the same...standards I do when it comes to web code. For that reason, I don't offer those services. However, I don't think you'd have trouble finding someone who would do it if you were to post in the Marketplace section of these forums.
    Last edited by Ronald Roe; Jul 11th, 2014 at 12:07 PM.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Remove Ads