Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Creating A Welcome Message On A Static Front Page. HELP!

Currently running a Child of the Twenty Twelve theme. I am trying to create a welcome message on the "front-page' which I have called the home page.

The default settings in the Theme set the front-page/home page to display your latest posts. I have changed this and made it "static" as I want this to be more professional and less "bloggy" .

I have figured out how to display a welcome message, but it only works when I set the front-page/home page to "display latest posts" in my Dashboard. As soon as I change it to be static, the message disappears.

I have edited the index.php file in my Child theme folder to include:

<?php get_template_part ('welcome'); ?>

I have included a file named "welcome.php" in my Child theme folder to include:

<div id="front-page-intro" class="clear">

<article id="intro-elements">

<div class="entry-content">

<p> Welcome! </p>

</div> <!--entry-content/*-->

</article> <!--#intro-elements/*-->

</div> <!-- #front-page-into/*-->

I know this is possible but can I achieve this by simply adding a conditional statement in the welcome file, or do I have to add additional code to my index file. I tried using if ( is_front_page() with no success. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I will try to give a response but i am not sure if i understand this fully. So you have created a page called Home <- and you want this to display a "Welcome Message" but the theme is using your page to display latest posts ? If so you could try this.. Create another page called blog <-- Then goto Setting / Reading.. Set Static Home Page, and in drop downs change Front Page to "Home" and Posts Page to "Blog".. Also if you havent done it yet, Goto Settings / Permalinks and change to /%postname%/ for proper links and save.. Go back to Pages and open "Home" then on the right hand side check what the Template is and post back here. Just curious because i never used twenty twelve theme.

i3 Web Services|Web Design|Development|Web Design Ireland|

Member #
    Were you able to achieve the functionality you were looking for with your Wordpress website home page? It sounds like the solution you're considering is a little more complex than it needs to be. Can you clarify what exactly you're trying to accomplish? So you have a "Home Page" page saved that includes your welcome message but when you change your reading settings to use your "Home Page" as the home for the website, your welcome message disappears and only displays when you change your reading settings back to "Latest Posts"?

Remove Ads