Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Some things people tell us about Wordpress

Member #
    Liked
    176 times

Some things people tell us about Wordpress

Being a business consultant and small business manger my office offers turnkey and that includes web design, hosting and management.

No doubt Wordpress has changed the internet forever as far as small businesses building their own websites.
    Over the last few years we're hearing some things about WP that is a turn off to a lot of people that has no knowledge of using a theme or template. "Wordpress is not as easy at it's promoted to be".

I agree even though there are 1000's of tutorials out there. Some people just don't have the knowledge or talent to make a template work even trying to follow tutorials.

The number one thing negative we hear is there is "no homepage already configured there for them".

This may sound dumb to a lot of WP developers and people that are knowledgeable in WP but it's a frustrating thing for someone that is not.

I have 17 in my office so we took some time one day to check this out. Everyone made them a test account on our vps and started checking themes to see how simple or difficult they would be for first time users,

Each girl tested ten free themes from as many developers and here are the results:
    Out of 170 themes tested only 11 found homepages already configured for the theme.

Every girl said it would be impossible for the average person to even figure out how to edit some of the themes they tested because of a lack of anyway to do it unless you were experienced in WP.
    Some of the themes could not be changed because of the structure of the theme so it had to be edited only as the theme would allow.

There were only a few themes that listed the necessary plugins needed to make the theme work. There are so many plugins out there now that even confuses us sometimes but, we know the plugins that work best for the few WP sites we build..."experience"

In conclusion, the theme that rated number one with all 17 girls was the Vantage theme from Siteorign. It came with a pre configured homepage, plenty of ways to change it and could make it look just about anyway a person wanted it to look. ( We are no way associated with Siteorigin or any other theme developer)

I've said enough for tonight so I'm going out to the barn and feed my two pet mules some granny smith apple slices. And this was not a rant.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Aug 01st, 2015 at 07:33 PM.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I can add from my own experiences, albeit not much...but I have played around with some Word-press and did two small non commercial sites, i.e. personal.
    For me the issue, I have found is that when you observe the demo site, it is well populated with ideally placed menu's, content and photo's / video...which is what people want, right? However if you download these themes, they are just "bare-bones", without the demo content and one has to struggle to match the author's demo site format and if you're don't have a "designer type" mentality, even more difficult...! Invariably the documentation is written in a "non user friendly" manner or points to Wordpress.org for some explanation...which is written in an even more complex format (jargon for beginners, i.e.). I've beaten my head..black & "bleau" in just trying to understand some of the stuff written there.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Quote Originally Posted by St_Elmo View Post
    I can add from my own experiences, albeit not much...but I have played around with some Word-press and did two small non commercial sites, i.e. personal.
    For me the issue, I have found is that when you observe the demo site, it is well populated with ideally placed menu's, content and photo's / video...which is what people want, right? However if you download these themes, they are just "bare-bones", without the demo content and one has to struggle to match the author's demo site format and if you're don't have a "designer type" mentality, even more difficult...! Invariably the documentation is written in a "non user friendly" manner or points to Wordpress.org for some explanation...which is written in an even more complex format (jargon for beginners, i.e.). I've beaten my head..black & "bleau" in just trying to understand some of the stuff written there.
    Exactly. and this is one of the things the girls were talking about. You see this beautiful theme and after you download it...where did everything go and how do you make it look like the demo?

Ah! They all agreed probably the most famous boat in the world was the Wordpress boat you see on a theme after you install it, and then you wonder, where did everything go that was on the demo theme, that boat wasn't there on the demo.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    One thing that bother me about a lot of commercial themes is that they are incredibly bloated.

I just ran the home page of the vantage theme demo through the pingdom speedtest. They gave it a performance score of 89/100, which is pretty good. The home page required 48 file requests, which is not as lean as I'd like, but still better than the 100+ that I see with lots of commercial themes.

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    The girl in my office that builds the WP sites is building a large business site now using the Vantage theme.
    She uses it on most all of the WP sites because she can wipe it clean and design the theme to meet just about any client's wishes for a website.

I looked in the admin tonight and here are the standard plugins below she uses on most all of her sites. We also purchase the premium theme which is not very expensive at all.

If you're new to WP or having problems understanding WP she suggest you watch and follow along with this youtube video, after you get through his pitch on Hostagator. This guy walks you through the Vantage theme. Go to youtube and search for the Revolutionary Wordpress theme by Tyler Moore. Hostgator, or any other EIG brand host, is not in our vocabulary as a reliable host.
    This will also help you build many more of the WP themes available.

She also suggest that if you don't know how to setup a homepage in WP there are tutorials on youtube that show you how.

(her plugins for this business site she's building and she says they work on most all the other themes also)

Contact Form 7
    Black Studio TinyMCE Widget
    Lightbox Plus Colorbox and Simple Lightbox
    Meta Slider (premium version) but the one that comes with the theme works just fine.
    Page Builder by SiteOrigin
    SiteOrigin Widgets Bundle
    Ultimate Addons for SiteOrigin
    SiteOrigin CSS
    WordPress vertical Thumbnail Slider
    Spacer
    Title Remover
    Uber Mega Menu (only if you need a mega menu for a site) (you have to purchase it)

I hope this helps any newbies to WP that wants to build a WP site.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Aug 10th, 2015 at 09:00 PM.
    Bleau

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Vantage theme is really a quality theme giving u a lot for free. There are some themes available for free which don't let you force to buy their paid version.

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Beau Canon, your posts in this thread are some of the best and most accurate I have read about WordPress. I have been playing with WordPress off and on for a few months now and have rarely found anything so frustrating. The things you mention are much of what my observations have been. It just isn't as easy as many would have someone believe.

I am not an expert but have about 8 web sites for my business. The first were created using FrontPage about 15 years ago and then I switched to DreamWeaver. I do think the theme you pick can make a big difference. I think in my case that was much of why I have found it so hard. I also noticed in looking at the thread on the forum section for my theme on WP.org's forum that when I see a post made months before about a problem when I follow the link to their site nearly all are still a mess. I will have to take a look at the Vantage theme in the future. It sounds like a much better choice than the Enigma Premium theme I am using.

I have sometimes suggested to someone wanting to create their first web site to look at some of the tutorials on YouTube and then using the same theme the person in the video used so they could follow step by step. Finding a tutorial using the Vantage theme might be an even better suggestion.

Thanks also for the list of widgets. It about parallels the ones I have downloaded but there are one or two that I might want to add. The only one I have used not on your list would be Easy Google Fonts.

Thanks again for the great posts.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Thanks turboguy for your nice compliments. Frontpage. we built a lot of sites in FP and Dreamweaver.
    When Expression Web 4 came out it's our editor of choice now and we only use DW now for a few php sites.

We've got quiet a few sites built with the Enigma theme. The only thing you pretty much have to go with on Enigma is the home page. If you use the Siteorigin pagebuilder you can do just about anything you want on the rest of your pages. She's building a law firm site now with the Enigma theme. She likes the slider on the theme and has done wonders with it on professional's sites. She optimizes her full size slider images in Photoshop and they usually move pretty fast without any buffering.

Our WP designer likes to use Full Width with No Sidebars to build a site with. Those plugins I listed are the ones she uses most of the time on any site. She'll usually wipes most of a theme clean and build from there but still retain the integrity of the theme.

She uses the Vantage theme on many of her sites because she can do just about anything with it and it's worth the cost of the premium theme to carry it up to even a higher level.

Good luck and you should have no problem with WP if you watch and follow along with the video on the Vantage theme. You can take that knowledge and move on to other themes also.

Hey turboguy, are you the same that is on the RW sites? My husband just told me he's familiar with a turboguy on several of the RW forums when he was chasing after my skirts in Russia. Long long time ago.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Aug 19th, 2015 at 01:12 AM.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bleau canon View Post
    Thanks turboguy for your nice compliments. Frontpage. we built a lot of sites in FP and Dreamweaver.

Hey turboguy, are you the same that is on the RW sites? My husband just told me he's familiar with a turboguy on several of the RW forums when he was chasing after my skirts in Russia. Long long time ago.
    Wow, small world!!!! Yes, that is me. I am actually a moderator on RWD but not a very active one and also visit RUA and RMP. I have been married to a gal from Barnual Russia for nearly 8 years now. May I ask what your husband's user name of the RW forums was. Just curious to see what I can recall about him.

Back to WordPress, thanks for the suggestions. For most of the pages on first site I am working on at the moment I also want to wipe the pages fairly clean and build from there which I just figured out how to do the last time I played with it. Actually I picked one of my sites that had been good and useful at one time but really had been neglected and the traffic had gone to almost nothing and am just using that as a learning tool. Once I get more practice I am going to start on some of my more important sites. WordPress does have a lot of positives but one of the things I don't like is so many of the themes look so much alike, A small title, with a slider underneath, three blocks with icons below that and a footer bar.

After playing with WordPress a short time my advice to someone who has never built a site before would be that before they start they should take a picture of themselves so they can look back on it and recall what they looked like before they pulled out all their hair.

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    I asked my husband what his username was, he looked at me laughing and said...after 17 years or marriage with a RW and five daughters later turboguy expects me to remember something like that. He said he was on RWL and Visa Journey but he would try to remember. He said he was more of a lurker and posted very little. He's a gem.

I certainly agree with you on taking a photo of yourself before and after attempting WP. I passed that on to my developers and they had a good laugh and also agreed with you.

When I get some time tomorrow I'll make some screen shots of how we wipe a page clean including the slider and start building a page per a clients request.

You seem to enjoy working with websites and I'm sure many more people do that visit this community and is a lurker or member also. Something I did that might interest you and other people is I set all my developers up with a reseller plan to build and test sites on.

I set the resellers up with a funky domain name for each one of them. They then make a new cPanel account for each new site they're going to build using a sub domain like.... clilent1.funkydonamin.com., client2.funkydomain.com, etc. They use codes for the clients account as the name of their sub domains. When they get through building and testing a site they let their clients look at their websites to approve or make any changes.

We use a small hosting company that has never let us down and prices are very reasonable. I think they still have an 80% off coupon now on their resellers for their LA datacenter. The Starter Reseller with 25 cPanel accounts is about $13.00 a year. I'll check and see if their coupon is still good and let you know tomorrow night. And we are NO WAY an affiliate of them or any other web hosting company.

By using a reseller you can keep your other sites live and not mess with them. When you get a site like you want it it's not a big issue to transfer your new site to it's main domain name. You can test all kinds of themes then.

Because the main thing in this business is small business management and consulting a lot of our clients uses a web based accounting program called Front Accouting. They use that as their account package with us so we can use that to manage their sales, expenditures, etc. We also have them set up on an individual account on our resellers. We find the resellers work best for us over a vps or dedi with our clients.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Aug 20th, 2015 at 10:14 PM.
    Bleau

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads