Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By turboguy
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By bleau canon
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe

Thread: Wordpress Class

Member #
    Liked
    292 times

Wordpress Class

Just getting around to Wordpress in our CMS class and will have to build a 5 page site. What would you suggest for a free theme to use in my class project? The most I will be required to change are HTML, CSS. images, and forms (they won't have to work so no PHP required at this point even though we do have to create a database).
    Last edited by delstu; Apr 12th, 2016 at 07:32 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    I would suggest the Vantage theme. It is free and seems to be a little easier to use than some of the other themes. It is one of the more popular themes as well. Actually one of the other members here recommended that theme as an easy one to use and I just tried it out a few days ago and have to agree. I was able to build a site using it far quicker than I expected.
    bleau canon and delstu like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You could use one of the stock themes that come with it e.g. Twenty Sixteen (I think they're up to Twenty Sixteen now). That way, it'll be easier for the teacher to see what you did/didn't change.
    delstu likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Learn on the Siteorigin Vantage theme. Go to youtube and search Tyler Moore's Revolution tutorial. Download and install the Vantage them and follow along with him in his tutorial and you should be good to go.

The Vantage theme is one of the top WP themes and can be customized just about anyway you want it to be. With the knowledge of WP that he teaches on that tut you can easily move on to different themes, and always read the documentation on a theme.

If you follow the tutorial start about 20 minutes after the beginning of the tut so you won't have to put up with his Hostgator affiliate line.
    delstu likes this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    292 times
    Thank you everyone. I believe I would learn more from a youtube tutorial - you wouldn't believe what this class is like. The first half of the semester we spent fooling around with Google Sites, Wix, and Weebly! What a waste.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The sad thing is that I would expect you to say something along those lines. I approach education using a modification of the 19:1 rule I have for meetings. In a typical 20-minute meeting, 19 minutes will be completely useless and I will never need to remember anything said during them; my only hope is to salvage the 20th minute. I adjust the ratio to roughly 59:1 for most forms of education.
    delstu likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by delstu View Post
    Thank you everyone. I believe I would learn more from a youtube tutorial - you wouldn't believe what this class is like. The first half of the semester we spent fooling around with Google Sites, Wix, and Weebly! What a waste.
    Feeling your pain, bro. I don't have the patience to even type out how awful the class I'm in has been. It's like taking a web development history class. "This is the way we used to do things. See how quaint and st00pid it was? Haha, now do everything that way."
    delstu likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Remove Ads