Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By bleau canon
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By bleau canon
  • 1 Post By bleau canon
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Ronald Roe
  • 3 Post By bleau canon

Thread: Brute Force Attacks

Member #
    Liked
    176 times

Brute Force Attacks

I'm going to post this in the Wordpress section, but it also applies to any CMS website that has an Admin login area in the internet and something I think you need to be aware of if not already.

We've been noticing in the last few months an excessive amount of hits to these login areas on our CMS websites. I suggest you look at your website stats and check for yourself to see if you have any excessive amount of page views on your website.

This is what we saw tonight on a new start up small business website with only 6 pages on it with the majority of the hits going to the Admin Login.

Unique Visitors: 196
    Returning Visitors: 496
    Page Hits: 113,590
    Actual Legit Page Views: 2,012

I would advise you to check your stats and look for the ip number with the most hits. Then go to the link below and check to see where it's located. Once you do that then go to your control panel and ip number deny access, put this ip number in and block it if you think it's not legit hits to your website. This can also eat up a lot of your bandwidth that you're paying for with your host.

Tonight we blocked 2 ip numbers for this website from France and China with France being the top number of hits to the website. We isolated both of them to two spam bots. Make sure you have STRONG PASSWORDS.

Go to IP Tracing on the website, put the ip number in and check to see where the ip number is located.

Check ip number

Last edited by bleau canon; Aug 16th, 2016 at 12:00 AM.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Bleau
    "Give the gift of life, Adopt a child, And an Animal"

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    This is one of the major reasons that I do not recommend WP to people. Even with one of the "limit login" or "brute force" plugins out there, it does an absolutely terrible job at filtering bot traffic. Couple that with say an EIG host and you're going to have some serious issues.

This is also one of the major reasons that I recommend using a non-PHP language or framework. You can set up a custom 404, read the URL from the request, and parse it for obvious signs of bot traffic. For example, I use ASP.net (as is very well-documented on here by now). If someone or something hits the custom 404 page, I read the URL and check it against a private database that I have for obvious hack attempts (e.g. the wp-login folder, URLs ending in .php). If I see say URLs ending in .php, I know that it's either a bot or a complete a-hole trying to hack something. Either way, it's not someone or something I want hanging around.

At that point, the IP gets added to the denied IP list in IIS across my entire server and sees nothing but 403 pages for a certain time period. For each subsequent infraction, the time period increases exponentially. Granted, bots can come from many different IPs, but the IIS step in particular is intentionally time-consuming in such a way as to delay a bot and discourage future IP changes. More importantly, since many bots are repeat offenders, you'll free up your server resources for things that matter...such as, say, your users.

Strong passwords will help in this case, but they won't cover everything. Neither will my method, although it captures quite a lot.
    bleau canon likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    I hear what you're saying, but we don't have much choice but to go with CMS and Wordpress being the one that works best for most of our clients.

I have no doubts that you're as good as it gets with the type work you do and it took time and experience to get where you are. It took me 12 years to get where I am with my business, The average person doesn't have the time, or doesn't want to take the time, to learn the true frameworks of web design and development. Nor can they afford to hire a professional.

It was an interesting time in here when my designer-developers minds had to start changing gears to work with the CMS programs. Because of their prior knowledge and experience in building websites from scratch, especially being able to code, they can take a CMS theme and totally rebuild it into something unique and solid for our clients.

They can also update the themes and this is important. More and more WP developers are charging to update their themes after a 12 month period. We just got into a riff with a couple of developers, in the same business together, wanting to charge an annual fee of $29.00 to update their themes. I understand some of that but for us that would be an accounting nightmare. So, we're sitting on a couple 100 of their themes and our developers told them where they could put it, in a nice way, because they can do the updates themselves. The developers thought about that and tried to offer a much lower fee but it didn't fly with us. We will no longer use their themes and that could cost them a lot of money over a period of time.

We didn't start our doing web design,website management and hosting, We were more or less forced into it by our turnkey business management and consulting. Yes it makes us money and has some of the same stresses with it that goes along with what my business actually does.

I read recently where Wordpress.com takes millions of more hits per year than Amazon and the gap is predicted to increase even more. I also read where WP is growing on the average of 8% a year, All we can do is hang in here and adapt to whatever we need to do to get the job done for our clients.

Update on my original post: Since we blocked those ip numbers the website has dropped from 12% bandwidth usage down to 2%.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Aug 16th, 2016 at 08:44 AM.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I hope I never have to grow up to the point where I have to work with WP exclusively.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    I hope I never have to grow up to the point where I have to work with WP exclusively.
    It's super easy to find yourself accidentally in a funnel that spits you out into it. I don't have any heartburn with it personally, but it isn't where I'd prefer to be.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Well, I consider myself all grown up in my business and feel successful at what I started out to accomplish. I've had a lot of the bad and the good and had to adapt to a lot of changes over the past 12 years to make it stay alive and grow.

Our twin daughters took more of an interest in their dad's business and spent most of their time working in and learning it. It's not but about 100 yards from my office and when we have the windows and doors open we can here it running. Our twins graduated from college this past May with degrees in architectural engineering on a Saturday. On Monday morning their dad walked in and told them it's yours now, I'm retiring and going home and also work with your mom some now. To keep his family business of 62 years going he had to make some tremendous changes in it in the last 10 years with new technology to keep up with the architectural industry. His mind was tired and he knew with the twins much newer educations and ideas his business was going to be in good hands.

In two years we'll have another daughter graduating from college with a degree in corporate management and finance. She and her younger sister both work in here with me. She is also studying the same as her sister. In two years I'm handing this over to both of them and going home and let them carry it to another level.

Our 16 year old bops between both places. We're sure when it's her time she'll have figured out how to bring the management of both businesses under one roof per say and with the help of her older sisters they'll make it work. "Young minds with new ideas" and much newer educations. I can see it in some of the changes they want to make in here and I don't hold them back.

It was not my choice to move into CMS systems, it was the way businesses were changing and what I had to do to make the changes with then.

I'm sure both of you guys are the best at what you do and I certainly hope you can continue to do what you do, and in my opinion it's going to work for you. Not all people and businesses need CMS systems and your work will always be in demand.

What will web design and development be in 10 years from now? Take a look back and see how it's evolved over the last 10 years. I'm sure it's going to be interesting, As much as i love my work, my mind is getting tired also and I don't think I want to have to deal with it.
    Last edited by bleau canon; Aug 16th, 2016 at 06:31 PM.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Bleau

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Mine has actually evolved more geographically, especially in the past few years. I was talking with one of my Canadian clients on Saturday in his store. and he asked about who I was working with and where. That's when it hit me...I have fewer Canadian clients now (three) than I did in 2002 (five) when I started full-time. Two of them aren't even operating their original businesses. The client I was talking with is the only one who still operates his original business.

Fortunately for me, I'm now doing business in five different countries as opposed to the one when I started. If I didn't adapt myself and if I tried working exclusively with Canadian companies (specifically in the Greater Toronto Area), I wouldn't still be doing this. It was rather surprising to hear myself say that because it didn't occur to me until I was in this chance conversation.

So what do I think design and development will morph into? Development has a skill gap and one that won't be filled in the short to medium term. Ten years? Probably not likely to be filled then, either. 15-20? Maybe. Mind you, it would require some serious adjustments to global education systems, including but not limited to recognition of the various ways in which people learn and instructional techniques that cater to those ways. Design? Same as it has been for the last 10 years...trends will emerge, people will follow them, we'll get neverending lists of 55 Of The Best Sites That Use Purple Videos Of Dinosaurs Singing The Theme Song From Family Guy that are out-of-date as soon as they're posted because the site owners either got sick of the designs or realized that they don't convert, lather, rinse, repeat.
    bleau canon likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Super cool that you're going to be able to pass the family businesses on to the kids like that. If I was running my own business, I have no doubt I could pass it to my daughter, and I suspect even though she doesn't realize it now that she'll be on down the same path I'm headed. Hopefully she starts that way instead of getting there later like I did. My son, on the other hand...
    bleau canon likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    176 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    Super cool that you're going to be able to pass the family businesses on to the kids like that. If I was running my own business, I have no doubt I could pass it to my daughter, and I suspect even though she doesn't realize it now that she'll be on down the same path I'm headed. Hopefully she starts that way instead of getting there later like I did. My son, on the other hand...
    One of the ladies that lives in this valley with us has two daughters. Their dad's corporate office is in Buford, part of Atlanta, about 2 hours from us, 30 minutes getting to a paved rd from here. Their girls couldn't go work with him because of school.

Their mom came for a visit with me one day and said it's wonderful that your daughters have two businesses here in the valley to start working in and learning self discipline, working and making money at their young ages. She asked me could I help her start her daughters a small business at their home.

One of the girls in my office said why don't you start them an Ebay store? Sounded like a good idea to us so I built them an Ebay store and they got busy. Word got out here in the valley and soon everyone was emptying out our closets, garages, sheds, barns and giving them stuffs and smiling while we were doing it.

Their store took off and they were working, making money and having fun. When the oldest one got old enough to drive her parents bought her a new 4 x 4 truck for her 16th birthday. The girls started hitting all the yard sales to help keep their store full of items.

That was about 2 years ago and their mom told me they're making loads of money, learning management, accounting, etc. The oldest one starts college this year and her dad has built both of the girls an office in their backyard and he's working with them every night teaching them how is corp runs.

I ask the girls recently about their Ebay store and their reply, heck no we plan on keeping our Ebay store as long as it works for us.

So, you never know about a kid until you grab the kid by the nose and give them a chance and support them in the business world.
    Bleau

Remove Ads