Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question Swapping Forums with WordPress

:I can't emphasize strongly enough that I am very new to this, Just started learning WordPress a couple weeks ago. So your patience will be very appreciated.

On my site I have installed a WordPress Forum plugin, which is not too bad, but another one has caught my eye and I was hoping to be able to remove the existing one and theen install the new one (without) loosing all forum members registrations and post counts, etc. This is probably aa dumb question to many, but as I said am just learning and loving the venture. I thank anyone who has any input.

Regards,
    Dave

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    I think it would be helpful to know which forum software has caught your eye? Most forum software has add ons to import content from other forum programs. WordPress forums are less fully featured and not as popular as some of the ones that really specialize in forums. My experience is only with vBulletin and Simple Machines forums. When I switched from vBulletin to SMF it was easy to import the content without losing anything. If you are looking at a popular forum the odds are it can be done or that you can get someone to do it for you without a big expense.

Member #
    Ok tuboguy,

Thank you fro replying. he one I have installed now is 'Forum - wpForo', and the one I had at the start and would like to install it back again is 'Website Toolbox'.
    Both the above mentioned were near the top of the list under the 'Popular' category. I think they are both great forums but I did a lot of modifying on the Website Toolbox one with header images and a few other things. It is by far a more attractive and versatile forum than the wpForo I am using now.

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Website toolbox is a forum I have never heard of before but visiting their site for a few minutes they say it is easy to import your files and if you want they will do it for you. I think you will be fine.

Member #
    Thanks again turboguy,

Is it permitted in this forum to post outside web page links? I would like to show an example of the difference of the two to get you or others opinion as to if changing is my best route. I do much prefer the other forum for it's layout and functionality, but could use a second opinion. If not no worries. Thanks.

Dave

This is an after edit............
    I just realized why I changed plugins in the first place. I had forgot that the Website Toolbox plug in is a 14 day trial then there is a fee. I am still considering it though as I just looked at all the features it has and I really like it a lot. Monthly is $9 for full features, but there is a higher paid version as well. Guess i have some thinking to do.
    Many thanks again for your assistance.

Dave
    Last edited by looloo; Oct 04th, 2016 at 07:53 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    One of the moderators will have to answer the part about posting outside links. I own a forum and am a moderator on another forum and as a rule of thumb most forums don't like links that are self promotion but are fine with ones that are needed to get an opinion.

I just took a quick look at their site and did notice the 9 bucks a month price. They do host that forum for that price but if you already have decent hosting that could be a bit redundant. I doubt that your traffic would get to the point where you need the higher priced package but you know better than I do.

I didn't want to spend a lot of time on the site but could not see any place where you could see what the software was like so I hope you do post something that would let us check out the differences.

While you are thinking about what forum software to use you might want to check out a couple of alternatives. My favorite forum software is SMF. It is free and pretty full featured. It is easy to install. If you are registered there is a section on their own forum where you can hire someone pretty cheaply to do things like import the members and posts from the current forum. Of course the part I like the best is that it is both good and free. Their web site is Simple Machines Forum - Free & open source community software

Another one worth checking out is vBulletin. That is the software this site runs on and is probably the best forum software out there. The cost be not much more than the one you are looking at. ( a bit more for the first set up but the annual fee is about the same or a touch less.) I used it for about 4 years on my forum before switching to SMF and it was good.

Remove Ads