Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Need some help in planning for WP e-commerce site

I have experience with PHP, HTML, CSS...etc. but I'm not a Web developer and think I may go with wordpress for an event I am helping organize.

I want to make sure I am not the only one who can update site and if I'm not involved for next year's event I want it so someone else could easily take over.

This would be my first time using wordpress for a project and am confused by some things.

My current thought for a setup is:

Namecheap for domain
    Hostgator for hosting
    WordPress
    Woocommerece
    Woocommerece stripe extension

Questions:

Do I need to purchase SSL? Hostgator appears to come with one wordpress hosting plan but offers little details and I am assuming it's a shared SSL. Is a shared SSL OK? I want smooth transactions with no security warnings but if the address has the host name vs. Our domain it is not a deal breaker for this project we just need to keep costs down.

What will woocommerece with stripe extension give me and what will it cost? This seems like a simple question but all info. I can find is really vague on how this all works and says it's free. Since event registration is only open for a few months I would like transaction fees instead of monthly fees. We will have a few different group("products") registrations and we just want a typical fill your cart and check out with credit card setup.

Any value in hosting on wordpress.com? Again, first time using wordpresss so if their hosting offers up some extra value I am open to a different plan.

Sorry for the super long first post. I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row before I start down a path.

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    I am going to leave the woocommerce part of your question for someone else since I haven't worked with it yet but will tackle a few of the other parts of your questions.

I agree with you that for what you are wanting to do WordPress would be an excellent choice. As far as the things you are planning on using I would hesitate to recommend HostGator but it probably would be ok. I do think there are better choices. I would suggest checking out SectorLink.

Wordpress is pretty easy for someone to learn to update who doesn't have a lot of experience. The learning curve to create a site with it isn't bad either and there are lots of tutorials on YouTube.

Member #
    I'll check out sectorLink. I've used hostgator in the past and mainly picked it because of familiarity but am open to change.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    WooCommerce with Stripe will only cost whatever Stripe costs. WC is free for most things, though they do have a plugin marketplace where some plugins have an associated charge.

On the subject of SSL, shared isn't the best way to go, though it's better than having none. The good news is that SSL certs can be obtained free now: https://letsencrypt.org/
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First of all, I'd recommend Sibername.com for your domain because they include domain privacy and the prices are reasonable. I'm not sure anyone else includes domain privacy for the price.

Second: turboguy recommended Sectorlink, and I have to say it's really strange and really awesome not to be the first one to recommend them. It means that people are listening to me. I wouldn't recommend HostGator to my worst enemy...okay, maybe I would because I'm an *** like that. But I don't recommend them to people doing legitimate stuff.

Normally I wouldn't recommend WP for anything because...well, it's WP. It's a pile of hot garbage. But since this appears to be a not-for-profit event (I'm guessing that since you may not be involved), you should be able to get away with using it for the maintenance of the site and it's not a bad thought on your part. The one thing that you're going to want to bear in mind is that you don't just have to update content with WP...you have to update WP itself, along with any associated plugins and themes, on a regular basis. I have a client who pays me as a server admin for one Saturday morning a month to do nothing but update WP and themes and make sure his backups are working. He has 12 WP sites, so it's about 15 minutes per site...so it's not too too bad. But it's annoying.

Notice how I said "maintenance of the site". I'm not including the e-commerce part of this in the equation since WP is not an e-commerce platform. Yes, I know WooCommerce exists and it can convert WP into a shopping cart. I know that's what it's supposed to do. Unfortunately, it's bloated and messy and the equivalent of attaching a hammer head to a screwdriver to make yourself a hammer. Keep your tools separate.

What I would suggest is looking into something like https://www.eventbrite.com/ for what you're trying to do (disclaimer: I haven't used EventBrite because I think the fees are way too high...it's the only example I can think of on short notice, though). There are only per transaction fees, and if you're a not-for-profit they do offer special pricing. PayPal has similar but far less expensive fees, and I've used them for things like this (non-non-dis-dis-claimer...I have used PayPal and it has become rock solid over the past few years). If you can build a form for people to select and buy their tickets and then have a PayPal button at the end, I'd go that route.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    OK, I'm on board with sectorLink and I'll check out Sibername and if it does not blow up my budget that's the route I'll go.

I looked into eventbrite and you are correct this is a not for profit event but the event is made possible mostly by sponsors so the site needs to advertise them well and bring them business so they will continue sponsoring the event in the future.

Interesting that woocommerce is bloated. I was going that route because it seemed to be made for wordpress. I originally was going to use shopify lite but the popularity of woocommerece shifted me to it.

When The registration process opens these events can sell out in hours so I was leaning to a free system with transaction fees so I could setup everything in the background and test it out before it goes live. Does paypal do credit card processing on a fee basis without requiring customer to have a PayPal account. I'm just trying to avoid paying for months of service that are not needed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Justin Bieber is popular. John Prine isn't. John Prine is one of the greatest songwriters of the past 50 years. Justin Bieber...well, isn't.

Remember: there is nothing magical about popular opinion. WooCommerce was designed specifically for WP. That is true. Unfortunately, since WP is bloated, WooCommerce adopted some of the bloat by extension. I've seen cases where removing WooCommerce from a site cut the load time by more than half. The problem is that people look at how "easy" WP is and ignore that it is limited and that it doesn't lend itself well to customization or the things that people try and do with it outside of its intended purpose (e.g. e-commerce, registrations, calendars).

Yes, PayPal can process credit cards on a fee basis and no the customer does not require a PayPal account to use it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    If you're going to be accepting payments, getting SSL installed for your site is probably necessary. At least to assure visitors considering making any kind of purchase/ donation. Even if you use PCI Compliant PayPal software, additional steps are required on your end (https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?c...liant_solution).

Using a free web application firewall service could help your site meet PCI compliance standards. Cloudflare's popular but its SSL with the free plan doesn't work on older browsers. Cloudbric gives your site Let's Encrypt SSL on the free 'plan' and also supports custom SSL (it's more like a traffic bracket than a plan.. cos if you stay below 4GB traffic per month every feature is free)

Remove Ads