Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Question Need help with my new website

Hi guys,

First off, Iím happy to introduce myself to your community!

I registered here to try and get a specific solution for my latest project Ė Iím creating a small website for my arts and crafts. Iíve already got some experience with WP as Iíve ran a couple of blogs a few years back and Iím familiar with the technological aspect of maintaining a WP website. Most of the design and layout is complete and itís almost set up, however, I hit a wall with payment gateway.

Iím going to use WooCommerce since I read that it is built specifically for WP and I want everything to run as smoothly as possible. Given that Iím from Europe, I want to give my customers more diverse payment options rather than limit myself to PayPal and other conventional ones. Iíve been looking into Alternative Payments and they seem like something that would suit my needs, especially since theyíve just launched a WooCommerce plugin. It might seem that Iíve got all things in place, but when I said that Iíve hit a wall, I wanted to say that Iím looking for others who might have experience with Alternative Payments. As much as it seems promising, I do need confirmation from people who have had practical experience with AP.

Any kind of input on this matter is welcome.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Just so everyone knows, I saw the link and I'm going to allow it because I think this is a legitimate request. People tend not to ask for confirmation from users in a cogent manner when they link to things if they're spamming.

With that said...here's my take on this. I've worked with a few things like this, and I wouldn't use it. Here's why:

1) 3.9% is a pretty high MDR, and at least some of that is due to "alternative payment" providers. A lot of the companies associated with Alternative Payments are typically in the "higher risk" industries, such as MLM, gambling, etc., with a few things like this mixed in for good measure (if you're offended, don't shoot the messenger: I'm only linking to this because Alipay is one of the payment processors listed):

The newest group chat feature from Alibaba's (BABA) Alipay, China's giant payments app, lets men pay pretty female strangers and ask them for sex ? Quartz

If you're selling tangible goods, you're going to lose at least 4% in all likelihood off the bat. If you're selling low-value product, (anything under say $5.00) with the transaction fee, that could wipe your profit on the items out completely.

2) You need a plugin for a plugin for WordPress. WordPress is bloated enough, and WooCommerce is moreso. It isn't a viable e-commerce solution, no matter what the web design masses may tell you. It's a screw designed to fit a hole for a nail. You add a plugin on top of that? That's probably not going to end well.

Personally, I'd stick to the "conventional" solutions until a need arises for alternatives for now.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads