Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Wordpress as cms, Newbie help

I am new to website development, one peer of mine that haves more experience told me to do this:

1. Design website using wordpress
    2. Host website on digital ocean
    3. Give user wordpress account to use as cms
    4. em profit?

As far as i know, wordpress also gives you the hosting service, also all of this made me make some question:
    ┐Can you export and import website "templates" from wordpress?
    ┐Can you use wordpress for design and cms, and use other hosting website for hosting?
    ┐How?

If you can answer or link me to a tutorial i would be very grateful, also if you think this method is bad or risky, linking me to the best practices would help a lot

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    To start with, there are two "flavours" of Wordpress.
    The free wordpress.com hosts the site for you, has limited templates and plugins, and limited styling ability. It also charges you for extras such as your own domain name, ad-free site, etc.
    Also free, wordpress.org lets you download the software and install it on your own hosting, with your own domain name (both separately purchased by you). There are lots of themes and plugins to choose from and you can change the styling using a child theme and some original CSS if you want. You can even add extra functions if you are able to write PHP code.

I will tell you that if I hired someone to make me a site and found out that it was free hosted on wordpress.com and not customized, I would be very angry. I don't know about Digital Ocean, but I suspect your friend has an affiliate account there and is trying to drive sales in order to make his affiliate payment.

I suggest that as a newbie you do a lot more research into this before you commit to anything. Web development using Wordpress is not as simple as your friend makes it sound.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    The only thing I can help you is: only the theme provided by mythemeshop can help you create website as template.

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    So if we reduce your question to the basics your "peer" is telling you to

Create a website.
    Earn a profit.

Yep, sounds like a surefire path to riches. My best advice is to find a new friend (peer) and get rid of the old one. I think he is trying to rip you off. It sounds like he is trying to talk you into some kind of affiliate marketing program that may make him some money but is unlikely to make you any.

If you really have a service or product you want to promote with a web site, WordPress is probably a decent way to go but stay away from wordpress.com and install wordpress from most any hosting account. As far as digital ocean goes I think he is trying to make some cash off you. I don't know them but if you want to do this try Sectorlink. It is a good hosting company. Yes, you can download any of thousands of templates and many are free. I would suggest going to YouTube and watching some videos on WordPress. There are lots of good ones and a few hours watching those videos will answer most of your questions.

Good Luck. I am off to YouTube myself to watch some videos on how to fly the new drone I just bought.

Member #
    You can do these all things in WordPress itself by using DIVI theme. Search DIVI theme Google.

Remove Ads